Talk

Advanced search

Cooking Duck

(6 Posts)
EternalOptimist7 Thu 19-Nov-20 09:21:15

I have 2 duck steaks & want to cook them Chinese style as I’ve also bought egg fried rice & prawn crackers. If I buy a jar of stir fry sauce eg Hoisin, can I use it like a “ cook in” sauce eg in the oven instead of stir frying? I really wanted plum sauce but couldn’t find it anywhere

OP’s posts: |
ginglebellsginglebells Thu 19-Nov-20 09:26:46

This sounds delicious and simple to prepare:

1 tsp clear honey
1 tbsp low-salt soy sauce
1 tbsp rice wine
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp five spice powder
2 duck breasts

Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. For the duck, mix the honey, soy, rice wine and vinegar in a small bowl. Slash the skin of the duck breasts and season with salt, pepper and the five-spice powder. Heat an ovenproof frying pan and cook the duck, skin-side down, for 5 mins until golden. Flip over, baste with the honey and soy mix, then put the pan in the oven for 15-20 mins, turning the breasts a couple of times to glaze the skin. Leave the duck in the pan to rest.

Or follow the steps for searing the breasts, and then pour on the sauce. You should be able to get a bottle of plum sauce in a supermarket- Sharwood's do one. It's usually with the soy sauce.

AhoyMeFarties Thu 19-Nov-20 09:33:19

I Fry them
5 minutes on skin side
3 minutes on the other
Put in the oven 180°for 15 minutes then rest them under foil
Cook stir fry veg, warm sauce and plate up serving the duck on top sliced diagonally

TheFormerPorpentinaScamander Thu 19-Nov-20 09:37:03

I made these and DS2, who previously said he didn't like duck wolfed it down and has asked me to make it again.

EternalOptimist7 Thu 19-Nov-20 09:57:11

I found Sharwoods sauces but no plum

EternalOptimist7 Thu 19-Nov-20 12:15:28

Will see if I have any 5 spice powder & maybe just baste them with that mixed with some oil

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in