Talk

Advanced search

How would I go about learning to play chess?

(7 Posts)
BecomeStronger Wed 18-Nov-20 22:15:53

I've just watched Queen's Gambit in two sittings!

I know how the pieces are allowed to move but clearly that's not the same thing as knowing how to "play". How does a beginner learn without a friendly(ish) janitor in the basement?

I did maths to Alevel and enjoy a logic problem. Chess feels like something I should enjoy, but not a clue.

OP’s posts: |
LuckyAmy1986 Wed 18-Nov-20 22:17:14

www.wickeduncle.co.uk/presents/boys/age-6/chess-teacher?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIveSouI-N7QIVBO3tCh0PCgVlEAQYASABEgKVxfD_BwE

Could something like this be useful to get you started?

LuckyAmy1986 Wed 18-Nov-20 22:17:48

Lol sorry I read it as that you didn’t know how the pieces moved!! Doh

Bagelsandbrie Wed 18-Nov-20 22:18:09

Download the Chess app and get playing. You can play against the computer or other people online. You’ll soon pick it up.

Spongebobsbob Wed 18-Nov-20 22:20:58

I predict a boom in chess set sales this Christmas grin we’re half way thought the queen’s gambit and loving it too.
There used to be chess puzzles in the newspapers-they might be worth looking at and working back from the answers
Otherwise play online and just google and read

NullcovoidNovember Wed 18-Nov-20 23:13:43

Op, off the back of the series I purchased a lovely chess board, £14 I think from a gorgeous company called jacques of London. It arrived the same week and came in a lovely old fashioned box with tissue paper. Apparently they have been making chess boards since 17 something.

LER83 Wed 18-Nov-20 23:24:54

When I was younger I had a talking chess board that taught you how to play. It was really good.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in