Talk

Advanced search

Middle of the Road Children

(7 Posts)
Twilightstarbright Wed 18-Nov-20 06:39:35

Not a TAAT but I was struck by how many people feel their average DC are overlooked in their class, and it's the bottom and top of the class who get the most attention.

How do you support a child/what would help do you think? My DS is a preschooler and starts school next year.

OP’s posts: |
Twilightstarbright Wed 18-Nov-20 13:28:55

Bump

LittleOverwhelmed Wed 18-Nov-20 13:35:48

A mixture of being proud of their achievements and finding them passions that they want to excel at?

I don’t think everyone is “middle of the rod”: everyone has things that they excel at (it’s about finding them) and struggle at.

Accepting that not everyone has to be great at everything and “middle of the road” isn’t always bad?

Yes it is true that schools do put more resource into the bottom and (if they have bandwidth, but not always) the top.

At the end, success has to come from within the child.

TeenPlusTwenties Wed 18-Nov-20 13:38:24

The average child may feel overlooked, but actually they're not.
Broadly speaking, Every Single Lesson is aimed at the middle children.

BogRollBOGOF Wed 18-Nov-20 13:45:15

When I was teaching it's easy to get swept along firefighting with the pupils that need more support, notice the stronger and more confident children and struggle to spread yourself with the quiet ones that tick along nicely. Plus some don't want lots of attention. As a secondary teacher I would see a KS3 class for less than 38 hours per year so very hard to get to know some characters who are drowned out easily.

I tried to make a point of getting round the good eggs and making my appreciation known.

Teaching policy has got better in that regard. The A*-C culture biased the C-D borderline to the neglect of safe Bs, in much the same way that electoral campaigns target the marginal seats and let the safe seats get on with it. At least all pupils matter more evenly on the database these days.

ilovepuggies Wed 18-Nov-20 13:48:06

I think making their home life comfortable and enjoyable and pursuing out of school interests that are just as or more important than school studies.

Twilightstarbright Wed 18-Nov-20 14:05:11

Interesting to hear. Obviously not the same as being a teacher, but as a Brownie leader I would make an effort to let the quieter ones have a turn, and it not just be the same few who got to do things.

Do you think being in a smaller class size would help?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in