Talk

Advanced search

Have British Gas taken a shit load of money from your account without telling you?

(38 Posts)
PatriciaPerch Mon 02-Nov-20 07:58:53

My Mum had a nasty shock last week whereby they took hundreds in one go without telling her and she had to ring up and get them to put it back in etc.

Today they have taken £1200, yes £1200 from our account. We have been trying to get them to update their estimated readings by sending them photos of the meter but they wont accept it. It is only for electric and we pay £150 a month (air source pump which is due to be taken out and swapped to oil fwiw but it is an eco system) They have way over estimated. God I'm so pissed off, it's taken us into the overdraft as we had absolutely no warning at all, so now we will have bank charges on top..

Are they doing this to everyone? It just seems a bit weird it has happened to me and my Mum in the space of a week sad

I will disappear as I have to do the college run now. FFS

OP’s posts: |
ProudAuntie76 Mon 02-Nov-20 08:02:05

The same happened to me but it was 8000 they said I had to pay 😱😱😱.
Took months to get out right. Due to them having the wrong estimated start readings. I had to submit weekly photographed readings for a while so they could work back

I actually only owed £76 angry

Nomnomarrgh Mon 02-Nov-20 08:27:14

Oh my! I had to get CAB to argue with my gas company for me. Thankfully not on direct debit at the time but I switched off the gas until it got sorted.

dementedpixie Mon 02-Nov-20 08:29:12

Phone your bank and they can recall the direct debit for you under the direct debit guarantee

x2boys Mon 02-Nov-20 08:32:09

Can you not do a direct debit indemnity thing? I know when the council tax screwed up and decided we owed them they took a lump sum it was about £250 but it wiped us out ,the bank did the indemnity and the funds were back in our account within a couple of hours .

FionaCorkesWardrobebyKamizole Mon 02-Nov-20 08:36:31

Yes, they took over £3k out of mine a few years ago, my bank sorted it out under the direct debit guarantee. Turns out that they billed us for the office next door....

I really need to change suppliers, but at the moment, they owe me £700 compensation from a gas supplier from 6 months ago that has "gone missing" so I'm loath to change until that's sorted out. They really are useless.
Definitely get your mum to contact her bank to get the money back to start off with, they will take it up with BG.

PatriciaPerch Mon 02-Nov-20 10:30:44

OMG at some of these amounts shock! British Gas are not budging, they are saying our new monthly payments are £423. It's an insulated 3 bed semi detached house confused

I'm going to ring the bank and see if they can recover it, I hadn't realised I could do this - thank you

dementedpixie Mon 02-Nov-20 10:33:44

If they didn't notify you of the amount they were going to take then yes the bank should be able to return the direct debit to your account

dementedpixie Mon 02-Nov-20 10:34:08

And then raise a complaint with British Gas

MoonDelay Mon 02-Nov-20 10:45:14

Oh shit 🤦‍♀️ I've just switched to BG I hope they don't do this!

PatriciaPerch Mon 02-Nov-20 10:52:56

I am still on hold to the bank, it's going to be a long day!

BarbaraofSeville Mon 02-Nov-20 10:56:14

Definitely use the DD guarantee to get your money back from your bank. This should cancel out any bank charges, but if you do get them, ask British Gas to pay the money.

Write a formal complaint so you can get to the position where you can go to the Ombudsman if they don't set your direct debit at the appropriate level - £150 pm for a 3 bed semi sounds about right.

Make sure you're confident your readings are accurate and have done the calculations to get the correct cost and average monthly bill.

Write to them and make it clear that it's a complaint and tell them how you want them to put it right - send accurate bills and take a realistic DD.

If you don't get anywhere after a certain time, go to Ofgem - this costs them money so it's in their interest to sort it out with you sooner. But you can't complain to Ofcom until you're officially in deadlock with them, or a certain amount of time has passed - possibly about 8 weeks.

Nomnomarrgh Mon 02-Nov-20 11:02:57

Its not just British Gas though. I’m with some Scottish power company and am keen to go back to BG.

PatriciaPerch Mon 02-Nov-20 11:15:38

I have finally spoken to someone at the bank, he said I need to ring British Gas back and play hardball with them and get them to put the money back in and it is taking 3 weeks to get the money back through indemnity atm, I don't know if this is normal or just because of the current financial situation. So I have agreed to ring British gas back and if they wont refund then put the indemnity through tomorrow confused

dementedpixie Mon 02-Nov-20 11:46:02

I suggest you call back the bank as under the Direct Debit Guarantee rhe bank needs to refund you immediately and then get the funds back from British Gas. If the money left your account today then they can recall it too.

www.directdebit.co.uk/DirectDebitExplained/pages/directdebitguarantee.aspx

dementedpixie Mon 02-Nov-20 11:46:47

If an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit, by the organisation or your bank or building society, you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society

Fairymad Mon 02-Nov-20 12:05:03

You need to tell them it is a disputed amount they can recall it today without charge!

dementedpixie Mon 02-Nov-20 12:09:49

They're trying to wriggle out of their responsibilities! Call them back

jojogoesbust Mon 02-Nov-20 13:54:48

The bank do have to pay you back the same day under the direct debit guarantee. EDF did this to me once, 1st advisor at bank said i had to get money back from EDF. I hung up and spoke to a different advisor at the bank and he put money back within 2 hours. Call the bank again, thats a huge amount of money

PatriciaPerch Mon 02-Nov-20 14:01:06

I cant speak to British Gas as it's not me on the account and my H has been in bloody meetings all day. It took me 40 minutes to get through to someone at the bank last time. Do you think it might be easier to just go in? I'm sorry I disappeared I had to pick my daughter up from college.

jojogoesbust Mon 02-Nov-20 14:05:37

PatriciaPerch

I cant speak to British Gas as it's not me on the account and my H has been in bloody meetings all day. It took me 40 minutes to get through to someone at the bank last time. Do you think it might be easier to just go in? I'm sorry I disappeared I had to pick my daughter up from college.

Yes, try popping in to branch. May still get the money back today!

PatriciaPerch Mon 02-Nov-20 14:28:48

Right, THANK YOU ALL FOR PUSHING ME grin My H spoke to British Gas who eventually admitted it was an accident. We are using 11,000 units a month and they are charging us for using 45,000 (does that sound right?!) They are now going through our whole account to sort it out. In the meantime they actually suggested we claim it back the indemnity as it's quicker. So I rang the bank, got through quicker this time and I said they had made a mistake we need to claim it back through the direct debit debit guarantee. She has filled in the form and it's been sent. She said it should be sorted by 8pm tonight? So fingers crossed. Thank you all so much. I am very easily over powered on the phone (I am not in person at all fgs) and I would have just given up. You've all really helped me today smile

Nomnomarrgh Mon 02-Nov-20 14:41:30

Well done! So pleased. Claiming it back through direct debit guarantee costs the company more as well, so egg on their face!

catnoir1 Mon 02-Nov-20 14:42:41

This has just happened to me too!

PatriciaPerch Mon 02-Nov-20 14:52:39

catnoir1

This has just happened to me too!

with British gas aswell?
have you managed to sort it?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in