Talk

Advanced search

Cleaners - will you still be working during lock down?

(27 Posts)
jess3817 Sun 01-Nov-20 08:50:56

Just that really - last time I didn't work, then towards the end a few people said I could have still gone to work.
I've read that households can't mix, and I can't work from home, so do I work or not? Obviously want to if I'm able too.
( I clean in peoples homes)

Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
sd249 Sun 01-Nov-20 08:56:37

My cleaner will be working but has asked that we are not in the house when she comes so we are not mixing households.

She cannot work from home therefore is going to work.

drspouse Sun 01-Nov-20 08:58:57

Ours will still come if she's comfortable doing it. She doesn't clean the rooms we're in, and I am allowed to use my office (bike in, take lunch and drinks, empty building) if I don't have space to work at home so I may do that on the day she comes.

charlieclown Sun 01-Nov-20 09:00:49

I bloody hope so, she has just started working for us and we need all the help we can get.

Our nanny just quit so we are shafted already.

jess3817 Sun 01-Nov-20 09:02:21

Great! Thank you - a few of them have been staying in separate rooms to me anyway, and some have been out. Just good to get a idea of what other people are doing too.

SuperDuperJezebel Sun 01-Nov-20 09:04:11

@charlieclown - I'm a nanny and there so so many great nannies out there desperate for work at the moment so fingers crossed you shouldn't have too much trouble finding someone.

StillMedusa Sun 01-Nov-20 09:46:58

Mine's just messaged me to say she won't be working sad Unfortunately my DS2 is in the house when she comes so that's reasonable... but I'll miss coming home to a lovely house once a week! TBH I'm more worried about the dog walker stopping.. but she doesn't see us so hopefully she can continue!

charlieclown Sun 01-Nov-20 11:39:04

Aaaand she has just cancelled. Ffs.

@superduper thanks. I am sure there are some great people out there, and when I get out of this doldrums I am sure it will turn into something good.

FinallyFluid Sun 01-Nov-20 11:48:04

DH works from the front room, so he will close his door and I will go out for a few hours, she can then open all the windows as she leaves.

She is happy to work and needs the money and a clean and tidy house once a week is worth driving around in my car to me.

The dog walker is self isolating, the dog walker is also my ironing lady, I am having to walk my own dog and do my own ironing. shock

The trauma. grin

jess3817 Sun 01-Nov-20 13:16:02

@FinallyFluid oh god- I absolutely hate ironing, I don't do it unless I have too🙈 so yeah, definite trauma there😂
@charlieclown sorry she's cancelled. I haven't had any contact from customers, so hoping that means most of them want me to continue, but I will obviously check with them first. Think possibility of 1 or 2 cancelling buthe that's manageable.

lovelemoncurd Sun 01-Nov-20 13:25:29

I'm just waiting to see what our cleaner says. If they don't want to continue fine but I'm not going to cancel

pollylocketpickedapocket Sun 01-Nov-20 13:28:35

Glad people are still having cleaners, I’m one and fully intend to be working!

Babymamaroon Sun 01-Nov-20 13:47:29

My cleaning lady has just confirmed she will still be coming smile

TheFogsGettingThicker Sun 01-Nov-20 13:50:00

I will still be working unless my clients say otherwise, I'll leave the decision to them.

peony68 Sun 01-Nov-20 13:50:41

Yes you can work , Gov.uk guidelines say you can go to work including in someone elses's home .

CottonSock Sun 01-Nov-20 13:53:03

I'm in Wales so already lock down. Last week she didn't come, I would have cancelled anyway as kids at home and I was ill. She's told be today she'll be back next week and I'm very happy. I'll keep out of the way.

MummaMeerkat Sun 01-Nov-20 13:54:01

I'll be continuing to work unless the clients cancel

AuditAngel Sun 01-Nov-20 14:25:59

Our cleaner stopped last time and never came back. Apparently my house is too messy to clean.

DH will be on “holiday” sorry, furlough while I work my arse off and do everything

Bringonspring Sun 01-Nov-20 14:28:10

I’m still wanting mine to come!

sunlight81 Sun 01-Nov-20 14:30:24

My cleaner will be working in a mask with windows open - I need the help, so will deffo keep her working while she wants to!!

saracorona Sun 01-Nov-20 14:32:18

I'll work right through. If they're in, I ask for windows to be opened ten mins before I arrive. I have a face shield, mask and gloves. I need the money but more importantly I have a list that I like. It took a few years but I added and dropped clients until I now have this lot. They're super professional but domestically don't have time nor the inclination chaotic, nice people even so they'd have to replace me!

YouAreMySunshine123 Sun 01-Nov-20 14:47:26

Mine wants to continue.
We go out when she is here.
Leave all windows open for her.
But, I would totally understand if she didn't want to come.

jess3817 Sun 01-Nov-20 16:02:23

Thanks for the info ☺ good to know other cleaners are still going to be going on work.

IloveJudgeJudy Sun 01-Nov-20 16:41:19

Ours wants to continue. DS2 is self-isolating atm which I told him. I just asked that he lets us know exactly when he'll be here so that DS2 can stay n his room completely (cleaner doesn't clean that room).

charlieclown Sun 01-Nov-20 17:40:28

I've pursuaded her. Yippee!!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in