Talk

Advanced search

Potential for cold spell from mid November, need help for walking

(15 Posts)
BlueOceanWave Sat 31-Oct-20 17:28:36

I was reading a weather forum and there is a cold spell on the way from the middle of November. There is a prediction and it's nothing official because its from an anonymous user, who likes to watch and read weather reports online, there's potential for a re-run of 2010.

Do people remember the cold snap of the winter of 2010? That was a bad year.

I don't know how to drive. I walk nearly everywhere. I will probably more than likely have to continue to work.

I hate walking on snow and ice because there is no grip and I slip and slide all over the place and its generally a big fat, fcuking, blinding headache. A walk that takes me 10 minutes and can turn into 40/50 minutes which is absolutely madness because I'm walking around like a drunk from side to side of the road looking for places to hang onto to prevent falling. That's ridiculous.

Is there anything I can do to prepare now? Are the ice grips any good? I read before about socks over shoes. I tried that before it doesn't work. Unless if I used the wrong type of sock. Would woollen socks work for grip?

I don't know. I'm dreading it.

OP’s posts: |
FelicityPike Sat 31-Oct-20 17:29:47

Ice grips are brilliant.

Bargebill19 Sat 31-Oct-20 17:32:52

Ice grips and a walking stick/pole.

BlueOceanWave Sat 31-Oct-20 17:38:21

I remember borrowing a neighbours wheelie bin to take down the road to hold onto during 2010. I will order a walking stick

OP’s posts: |
Saucery Sat 31-Oct-20 17:40:31

Ice grips/yak trax.
Just remember to slip them off before trying to walk on a wooden or laminate floor when you get back inside.

AnathemaPulsifer Sat 31-Oct-20 17:41:08

I have winter boots with fold-out metal grips built into the soles. They’re ace.

WitchesBritchesPumpkinPants Sat 31-Oct-20 17:45:08

AnathemaPulsifer

I have winter boots with fold-out metal grips built into the soles. They’re ace.

Brilliant. Are they comfortable? What brand? I feel a little shopping coming on!!!

motorcyclenumptiness Sat 31-Oct-20 17:45:16

These are good, as is walking like a penguin (no really)smile
www.millets.co.uk/15893184/yaktrax-walker-snow-grips-15893184

Northernsoullover Sat 31-Oct-20 17:59:55

I bought my ice cleats following 2010. I'm still waiting to use them.

AnathemaPulsifer Sat 31-Oct-20 18:06:05

They're very comfortable, made by Romika.

BlackeyedSusan Sat 31-Oct-20 19:29:39

Predicted because of La Niña, was on the news recently. Colder weather in UK possibly similar to 2010.

Sheknowsaboutme Sat 31-Oct-20 19:36:33

Yaks all the way! Looking forward to a wintry spell 🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶

GiraffeNecked Sat 31-Oct-20 19:40:30

Yaks are great as well as proper boots with rubber soles like you’d wear on a ski holiday. Mountain warehouse do some and Clark’s.

BashfulClam Sat 31-Oct-20 21:04:45

We had an amazing summer after that though so hopefully that happens again. Driving people indoors might be what we need to help get rid of covid.

dementedma Sat 31-Oct-20 21:09:14

I use walking poles in all weathers. I find them really helpful

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in