Talk

Advanced search

Teapot - URGENT HELP REQUIRED [grin]

(43 Posts)
Harriedharriet Thu 29-Oct-20 14:58:37

Where can I get a decent teapot?? A real teapot with a decent spout? I see many pretty teapots that are easy on the eye but the SPOUT is terrible usually. Dribbles and drips.
Can anyone help? I had an amazing silver plate elegant one for years. The spout not only looked beautiful but it was long and narrow and did not drip. It also retained heat. However it got lost in a move last year. I broke my one decent (ish) ceramic one last week.
Have I gone mad?

OP’s posts: |
Harriedharriet Thu 29-Oct-20 14:59:23

Shameless bump...

lurker101 Thu 29-Oct-20 15:00:00

Stellar do lovely stainless steel ones - my mum has had one for about 15 years and it’s going strong

lurker101 Thu 29-Oct-20 15:01:24

This looks like a newer version of hers www.hartsofstur.com/stellar-art-deco-traditional-teapot-sc52.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw0On8BRAgEiwAincsHELLq4QmjkIw5pczqOyaGJP8O25YnSpNO5WftGjdVNdD96ZaNm1x8hoCpQEQAvD_BwE

Changethetoner Thu 29-Oct-20 15:01:46

There was a shop in Edinburgh that allowed you to pour test any teapot before purchase. What a good idea. (I never did though), but it might be worth asking, as even similar looking teapots could have flaws or quirks that mean they dribble idiosyncratically.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Thu 29-Oct-20 15:01:53

Have you tried Whittards? Or my Dad had a Morrison's tea pot that he was very fond of (his first cup of the day had to be made with a pot, all others via bag in cup method).

KylieSmilie Thu 29-Oct-20 15:02:23

Yes, you need a stainless steel one. I've got two from John Lewis that have each been in constant use for over twenty years. We take them on holiday and when we go to my sisters at Christmas we take them as double the people needs double the teapots.

InMySpareTime Thu 29-Oct-20 15:13:22

I got this Price & Kensington Brights 6 Cup... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NL7BFXK?ref=ppxpopp_mobapp_share one to replace my previous one when it broke, it still doesn't drip 4 years in.

musicnotesand Thu 29-Oct-20 15:14:42

Emma bridgewater?

Spaghettio Thu 29-Oct-20 15:16:01

We got given a large Emma Bridgewater teapot about 10 years ago. It pours beautifully! (I don't like the pattern on it though so I've covered it with a knitted tea cosy).

2tired2bewitty Thu 29-Oct-20 15:18:30

Proper old school Brown Bettys here www.davidmellordesign.com/the-real-brown-betty-teapot-10-cup. I’m asking for one for Christmas

AdaColeman Thu 29-Oct-20 15:22:54

I love my Denby stoneware teapot, I've had it for years and it never drips. I've got the classic Heritage shape, but there are several shapes/colours available from the factory, some are in the half price sale at the moment.

TheNoodlesIncident Thu 29-Oct-20 15:24:05

Second @lurker101, the Stellar teapots are great. We have one like this, it's been fab. Agree about non-dribbly spouts, it's an essential part of decent teapot design! We have the 1.7 litre version (which we got from Amazon I think), we drink a lot of tea...

NiceGerbil Thu 29-Oct-20 15:25:22

For a like for like stainless steel trying a few from charity shops might be an idea.

Older things often seem better made, more eye to functionality.

Just s thought. But I'm quite pleased with it grin

NiceGerbil Thu 29-Oct-20 15:26:04

Husband backs denby. I find it heavy.

ApolloandDaphne Thu 29-Oct-20 15:26:41

I have a Denby one that is a great pourer.

TheGoatIsHere Thu 29-Oct-20 15:27:42

Recently bought a double walled stainless teapot from procook - love it. Keeps tea hot and has a great pour.

https://www.procook.co.uk/product/procook-double-walled-teapot-12l

Harriedharriet Thu 29-Oct-20 15:28:09

I like that Lurker - thank you.

Harriedharriet Thu 29-Oct-20 15:30:35

Changethetoner

There was a shop in Edinburgh that allowed you to pour test any teapot before purchase. What a good idea. (I never did though), but it might be worth asking, as even similar looking teapots could have flaws or quirks that mean they dribble idiosyncratically.

That is exactly it!! As a child my mother, who was a very exacting woman, used to reallly mortify me asking to do things like this. I get it now. Oh God, I am now my mother..... <sobs>

BlenheimOrange Thu 29-Oct-20 15:30:47

I have a 50s piquot ware one that pours beautifully and looks like it was milled from a single block of metal in an aircraft factory. Love it. You can find them on eBay and they polish up with Silvo.

Harriedharriet Thu 29-Oct-20 15:31:24

KylieSmilie

Yes, you need a stainless steel one. I've got two from John Lewis that have each been in constant use for over twenty years. We take them on holiday and when we go to my sisters at Christmas we take them as double the people needs double the teapots.

I am humbled!

lazylinguist Thu 29-Oct-20 15:37:33

I like Country Traditionals china (made in Poland). I have 6 of their cups and saucers and a teapot which is a great pourer. They have lovely colours and patterns.

here

happylittlevegemites Thu 29-Oct-20 15:39:52

I have two decent pourers - my granny’s solid silver and a Wedgwood Christmas one. Can’t wait till November and I can stop cleaning the silver one!

My posh infuser dribbles everywhere, and sometimes the top comes off!!!

I only have one non-dribbling jug, so am on the hunt for another.

I’d suggesting searching eBay.

happylittlevegemites Thu 29-Oct-20 15:40:26

Another option - just drink coffee smile

Harriedharriet Thu 29-Oct-20 15:41:35

You lot are bloody marvellous! I like Denby but find it too heavy. Emma Bridgewater makes lovely things but I prefer no patterns. I had a Spode pot which I liked but find I got twitchy if the cup/mug clashes to much. With that in mind I think I will jump into some of the metal suggestions. THANK YOU!!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in