Talk

Advanced search

Can you help me make my garden spooky for Hallowe’en?

(10 Posts)
thelegohooverer Mon 26-Oct-20 10:47:22

I’m decorating the back garden for a spooky treasure hunt and looking for ideas. It will be after dark, and the dc will have torches. It will only be my own dc, so I can make it properly spooky, without having to tone it down for younger or sensitive kids.

So far I have some spooky music clips that I can play (weather permitting) on devices hidden in bushes.

I have various battery operated lights and led candles for lighting.

There’s an outdoor socket and I’m thinking of possibly using an electric fan to create wind.

I’m going to shred some black bags and hang them so they walk through them at face level with some lights on the ground to distract them.

I’m thinking that sheets of tinfoil might create a weird sound effect, and also the reflections should be a bit disorientating.

I might use a mirror, disguised a bit by leaves.

A circle of witches or ghosts made from plastic bags or fabric if I have enough of it.

I found a mat in Poundland that makes noise when you step on it.

I have a net from an old goal post that I was hoping to rig into drop trap (haven’t figured this yet)

I’m fairly confident that if I pull the curtains and give them some screen time, I can get it set up on Saturday afternoon.

Is anyone else planning something similar? I’d love more suggestions for scares and creepy details. Or any weather proof ideas as I think it could all fall flat if it rains.

OP’s posts: |
TeddyBeans Mon 26-Oct-20 10:50:39

Sounds amazing! I'm doing similar for my DS but he's only 2 so I'm toning down the scary. We have a stack of light up pumpkins and a cauldron I'm filling with spider fluff and lights to make it look like a witches potion.

Are you on good terms with your neighbours? Could you get someone to dress up and jumpscare them over the fence?

Duggeehugs82 Mon 26-Oct-20 10:55:10

Sounds amazing lobe to see pictures when its done!

DifficultPifcultLemonDifficult Mon 26-Oct-20 11:01:49

You could use some smoke pellets, you get them in all different colours, but green might be good, they last about a minute and look really effective (plus they are cheap, about £3 for 2)

OnTheBenchOfDoom Mon 26-Oct-20 11:06:24

Toilet roll tube, horizontal, cut two eye shapes out of it, insert glow stick, put into a bush so you can see two green or red eyes staring at you through the dark, make several to make it look like a pack of animals.

We used to insert an led bulb attached to a cell battery on a length of cotton, (you could try this with any little light) put inside a white balloon and blow the balloon up. Tie off the balloon and tie the cotton strand around the knot and secure it. You are wanting the lit bulb to be about half way down the balloon. Hopefully you are able to get your hands on some muslin cloth/net curtain, make a large square, find the centre and cut a small hole out, put this over the balloon knot, attach some string to the balloon knot and now you have a dangling ghost! Hang it from somewhere. Ooh you could use a white bin liner.

I will admit we did the ghost thing on our drive and scared the shit out of even teenagers! grin

Like this but without the cute eyes, it doesn't have to light up but the light swinging inside adds to the weirdness.

images.app.goo.gl/gy9NMkPD3qeJaMwRA

thelegohooverer Mon 26-Oct-20 12:09:05

Thanks for these. I’ve never even heard of smoke pellets! Brilliant.
I love those ghosts! And definitely have to talk to the neighbours!

thelegohooverer Mon 26-Oct-20 16:01:31

I’m going to try and rig up a zip line from the back upstairs window to a tree at the bottom of the garden and send something shadowy along it.

AlwaysLatte Mon 26-Oct-20 16:14:29

Ooh shamelessly following, I'd love to do something like this, my kids have friends coming for a party on Saturday. Love it!

westendgirl780 Mon 26-Oct-20 16:52:51

Have you seen these massive googly eyes that are a thing this year? Can use them on trees etc they glow in the dark

justthecat Mon 26-Oct-20 16:55:08

Cotton wool pulled thinly and put on bushes to replicate spiders webs ?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in