Talk

Advanced search

Best child friendly thing to cook?

(32 Posts)
PuckyMup Sun 25-Oct-20 20:47:33

I’m a bit of a novice with bigger kids and have the company of a 4yr old in a few weeks for an afternoon, dinner and bed smile Last time we did pizza which was a big hit, but don’t want to repeat that if I can.

Any suggestions? Happy to slice and dice and do some prep

OP’s posts: |
Mylittlepony374 Sun 25-Oct-20 20:50:58

Chicken nuggets always a hit here. We make our own, which my 3 5 year old loves. That or anything in wraps. Also fun for them to make.

WorraLiberty Sun 25-Oct-20 20:52:04

I find it's always best to ask the parents.

Then you can blame them if it's not eaten grin

CharlotteFlax Sun 25-Oct-20 20:52:14

Tbh I'd repeat the pizza, it was what I was going to say before I'd clicked into the thread and see your OP. You know it's a hit and they might be disappointed if you do something else!

katy1213 Sun 25-Oct-20 20:54:30

I don't think children mind repeats. Pizza - followed by an old-fashioned knickerbocker glory.

MrsJonesAndMe Sun 25-Oct-20 20:55:00

I'd ask the parents or make home made pizza so they can spread the sauce, add the cheese and choose any other toppings.

RiaOverTheRainbow Sun 25-Oct-20 21:01:06

Most kids will eat pasta, but ask the parents or offer a variety of toppings - cheese sauce, tomato sauce, pesto, grated cheese etc.

Miranda15110 Sun 25-Oct-20 21:01:47

Macaroni cheese is always a hit in our house

Marmite27 Sun 25-Oct-20 21:03:10

Beans on toast for my two, if pizzas out.

Sunshine1235 Sun 25-Oct-20 21:04:16

Sausage and chips would be my 4yos request

PuckyMup Sun 25-Oct-20 21:04:44

Sorry, not sure I was clear, looking for ideas of things to make with her smile not just feed her

OP’s posts: |
formerbabe Sun 25-Oct-20 21:05:40

Roast chicken dinner...I've never known a kid not like that.

SqidgeBum Sun 25-Oct-20 21:05:55

I would just ask the parents what they like to eat. In general, kids dont turn down pizza, but if you want to cook something rather than just stick something in the oven, they may like lasagne or pie or something you didnt expect.

Scotinoz Sun 25-Oct-20 21:40:06

Mine loved at that age, and still love, baking 😀 They'd like icing thing so little fairy buns were winners.

They also liked eating the icing, sprinkles etc.

ragged Sun 25-Oct-20 21:44:45

haha, one of mine wouldn't have eaten the roast chicken dinner.

Apple crumble is a fun one to make. I'm struggling to think of savories other than pizza that can be done together. Most of mine would have eaten pinwheels which take a lot of time.

newnameforthis123 Sun 25-Oct-20 21:46:24

I make a Fajita Station with little bowls of different things they can use to make their own fajita - or take requests from the other kids and grown ups there - my god daughter loves doing this as she feels she has 'helped' but I know everyone will definitely enjoy it taste wise as I've done most of the actual prep myself!

Also pizza making with a twist where you use toppings to make your pizza look like each other is always fun. If a little hurtful when she used an Olive to recreate a spot I had on my face that particular day. Especially because I don't like olives 😂

ChristmasinJune Sun 25-Oct-20 21:49:42

I second the idea of home made chicken nuggets, they're great fun and most kids will eat them.

Maybe bake some little cakes or biscuits for afters too?

bathorshower Sun 25-Oct-20 21:56:30

Pancakes - they can be savoury as well as sweet. But do ask the parents - I have a very fussy eater, and while pizza would have gone down well, few of the other suggestions would. DD will even make apple crumble, but won't let it near her mouth....

SionnachRua Sun 25-Oct-20 22:03:29

+1 for icing buns, always a winner. Rice Krispie buns are a great crowd pleaser too.

majesticallyawkward Sun 25-Oct-20 22:05:33

My dd always loves making pizzas! She's 5 and we've been doing it since she was about 2, I make the dough in advance and she likes to roll it and add the sauce and toppings.
She's a big fan of a garlic tear and share or dough balls too (and with dough balls you can do savoury with garlic butter or sweet with Nutella dip), there's a fan recipe for pizza express style ones.

Failing that, pasta and they can help make the sauce.

We also like baking, cupcakes or biscuits to make and then decorate for pudding.

cricketmum84 Sun 25-Oct-20 22:08:18

Defo make pizza with either tortilla base or puff pastry which my DC love. You can prep the toppings so they can top and decorate their own smile it's my 11 year olds favourite thing to do.

TheFormerPorpentinaScamander Sun 25-Oct-20 22:12:07

@ragged how do you make pinwheel that mean they take a long time? They are a 10min (max) job here so I'm wondering if its the same name for a different thing?

ChanklyBore Sun 25-Oct-20 22:13:59

My small kids won’t eat tomatoes and so won’t eat pizza. Nor will they eat pasta with sauce, so no macaroni cheese. Nothing with sauce in fact, so nothing that dips into anything else and nothing that comes with sauce so no pies, casseroles, gravies or lasagnes. They wouldn’t eat sausages, and possibly might eat a bite or two of a chicken nugget, but more likely peel off the breadcrumbs into a little pile. Roast chicken dinner would be eaten as long as nothing touched anything else, including gravy. Wouldn't eat apple crumble or any stewed fruit but would eat an apple and a biscuit....

And yet are good healthy eaters as they eat pretty much all fruit and vegetables and in healthy quantities. Just nothing MIXED TOGETHER.....

RishiMcRichface Sun 25-Oct-20 22:15:05

Definitely ask the parents. Working as a dinner lady there is always one child who doesn't like the favourite thing most kids love and wants vegetarian paella. Having said that the favourite dinners are pizza, sausage and mash, roast dinner, macaroni cheese, curry and rice, fajitas, jacket potatoes, fish and chips, nuggets and chips, burger and chips.

ragged Sun 25-Oct-20 22:22:22

Supervising a child doing anything can take ages. I think OP was looking to involve the child in the food prep.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in