Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone else get an upset stomach when they cheat on a diet?

(15 Posts)
doctorhamster Sun 25-Oct-20 19:49:33

Just wondering if this is a thing or if it's just me!

I've got a good 3 stone still to lose, so obviously used to eat a fair amount of junk previously. I started eating more healthily a few months ago in order to lose weight, and due to PCOS and being 40 now I have to be very strict with my food intake in order to see the scales move in the right direction.

Six weeks or so ago I had a slice of birthday cake (fondant icing, so a lot of sugar) and ended up glued to the loo for a couple of hours. I've since had the same thing happen after a bag of twirl bites and then last night after a couple of slices of pizza. They're literally the only treats I've had in 3 months and they all had the same effect!

Can I never eat treats again?? Christmas will be fun hmm

OP’s posts: |
vizlsapup Sun 25-Oct-20 20:49:03

Yes I have this. Would love to know why and how to prevent it. Was just wondering the same after a lapse in diet. Similarly been doing it a few months - maybe the gut needs longer to heal.

TheArchFear Sun 25-Oct-20 21:00:56

I think it's pretty normal tbh.

doctorhamster Sun 25-Oct-20 21:22:49

Well at least it's not just me I suppose. I would like to be able to have the occasional treat though!

AriettyHomily Sun 25-Oct-20 21:29:44

Yep. Normal for me.

doctorhamster Sun 25-Oct-20 21:33:27

I'd love to know the science behind it. I wonder if people who just generally don't eat junk very often have the same issue?

cricketmum84 Sun 25-Oct-20 21:34:07

Yep I get this too. I've been dieting for almost 2 years and lost almost 9 stone. Before I went vegetarian I cheated with a doner kebab one night and threw the lot up immediately after. Now if I have anything high fat or processed I am on the loo constantly!! I think my body just prefers the healthier food.

inthethickofit19 Sun 25-Oct-20 21:34:38

I think it's to do with the gut micro biome but not sure

TheAdventuresoftheWishingChair Sun 25-Oct-20 21:35:40

Yes, alas!! No idea why.

doctorhamster Sun 25-Oct-20 21:49:25

Congrats on your weightloss @cricketmum84 that's an amazing amount to lose! You must feel like a completely new person!

cricketmum84 Sun 25-Oct-20 21:54:21

Thanks @doctorhamster yep I do smile I've lost an entire person now lol! Got a great pic of me and my 12 year old both in a skirt that just fit me before I kicked my arse into dieting that's really spurring me on for the last couple of stone smile

Ifonlyiweretaller Sun 25-Oct-20 22:26:39

I had lost 3 stone over the last year, fasting & low carving, and felt great. However covid, and the loss of my amazing dad 2 months ago, followed 2 weeks later my lovely mother in law, has meant I've eaten the most ridiculous amount of crap - mainly bad carbs ( bread, pasta, biscuits, cake etc).

This has had a huge impact on my "bathroom habits" and I can go from one extreme to the other in a matter of minutes - constipation then diarrhoea - which is very unpleasant. I get such bad wind etc that I sometimes think there is something more sinister going on, but I know that cutting out carbs will make a huge difference. I am preparing myself to start back on the low carb properly tomorrow ( like every other Monday for the last few weeks...), hopefully this time I will stick to it 😉

doctorhamster Mon 26-Oct-20 07:37:42

I'm so sorry for your losses @Ifonlyiweretaller flowers

Three stone is a fantastic loss (I'll be over the moon if I can do that!) and maybe the tummy troubles will help motivate you to continue!

Alternista Mon 26-Oct-20 07:39:38

I get the same!

vizlsapup Mon 26-Oct-20 21:41:14

Also glad it is not just me. I think it can depend what the meal is with. One cheat ingredient with other good ones can be okay.

I agree its to do with gut flora and absorption.

I was doing really well, lost about 2 stone, now its officially winter all I want is bread, cheese and red wine.

Had 2 pizzas last week and about 3lb has come back. I tell you though the pizzas were bloody lovely, I enjoyed every bit of them. For some reason I stopped with the veggies too, so self destructive. I only lapsed as I had a deadline...

However looking forward to healthy eating again as it does feel better and I am at the cusp of feeling/looking average/slim. Having another pre Christmas kick.

The amount of sugary stuff in the shops is hard. I don't even like sugar. What I like is chocolate and I like texture. Maybe I'll dip some carrots in chocolate...carrot cake 🙃

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in