Talk

Advanced search

Why are second hand sellers online so greedy?

(2 Posts)
Joeytribbianiz Sun 25-Oct-20 14:23:52

Looking for second hand furniture for my new house and it's really hard to find any bargains. People seem to think their ikea furniture has retained value - really quite old and crappy stuff listed quite close to the brand-new price. Why?

I have an ikea chest of drawers that was about £100 new, bought a couple of years ago, doesn't really fit in the new house so I'd be happy with a tenner and someone coming to take it away themselves quite frankly!

I think ikea furniture is like a car, devalues instantly once you take it away from the shop. And in my experience it doesn't move between houses well. Why do people think it's worth a lot of money still?

And don't get me started on people who list really really poor condition stuff for high prices - yes that sofa may have been a couple of grand new when bought in the nineties but it's been destroyed by kids and pets since then ...

I just don't get it. Surely most of the value is in getting rid of the item, that can cost you fifty quid or so in itself, so if someone is doing that and gives you a token price, that seems like a great deal to me.

OP’s posts: |
CatrinVennastin Sun 25-Oct-20 14:30:04

Ikea are going to start a buy back scheme where you get vouchers in return for your old stuff (amount depends on the condition of the items).

You are right OP people are deluded about second hand pricing. I don’t want anything to end up in landfill so will happily take a low price just to get the space back in the house.

And don’t get me started on Gumtree. I have given away loads of baby/kids stuff recently and the faffing and then people not turning up has driven me up the wall.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in