(36 Posts)
HomerRoberts Fri 23-Oct-20 22:38:12

Can anyone recommended somewhere I can get knickers that:
- are comfortable
- cotton
- regular bikini type design
- don’t ride up your arse
- don’t start looking really tatty after a few washes

I usually buy from M&S or Asda, but m&s no longer do the design I liked and don’t seem to have a great selection online.

OP’s posts: |
MiniMum97 Fri 23-Oct-20 23:01:05

Did you used to wear the M&S bikini type that used to be called "mini"?

So annoying they bloody changed them again (after changing them a few years ago and receiving such uproar they had to change them back). They made them too bloody small and with horrible scratchy lace. The fabric was also really thin poor quality. Unwearable.

I did buy these after looking around:
https://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-partners-5-pack-microfibre-bikini-cut-briefs/black/p4361078?size=12?tmad=c&tmcampid=7&sshare=jlappioss_Y29tLmFwcGxlLlVJS2l0LmFjdGl2aXR5LkNvcHlUb1Bhc3RlYm9hcmQ=

They seem to have stopped doing the black ones though.

They are ok. Good quality. The material is comfy but I prefer 100% cotton for breathability. They come up a bit high at the front I find and so get a bit schuncled by by belly. Less of a problem if you have a flat tummy! There is however good bum coverage (seriously lacking in many knickers) abs they don't ride up (another common problem). If you find a better pair do post back!!!

PinkBuffalo Fri 23-Oct-20 23:31:02

Nothing to addd to your thread op sorry, but I really miss bhs I used to get all my underwear from there sad
Have not found anything to replace it really

HomerRoberts Fri 23-Oct-20 23:49:42

Yes I think those were the ones mini.
I bought a couple of multipacks of blue/grey/navy shades that have done really well. They’re comfortable & the elastic doesn’t dig in.
Of course, they seem to have stopped doing them. Why retailers feel the need to constantly update such basics is beyond me.
Can’t stand M&S high leg, really bad for getting scrunched up.

I know, BHS! I used to get all my undies there too!

uncomfortablydumb53 Sat 24-Oct-20 00:07:38

I recently bought a multipack from Matalan and was surprised how good the fit and quality were

Nannyamc Sat 24-Oct-20 00:12:42

Sloggi pants are the best
Wide gussets in all designs

thegcatsmother Sat 24-Oct-20 01:27:29

I bought the new M&S bikini ones. Not high leg, v comfortable, and lots of bottom coverage (and I have a lot of bottom to cover). Gusset OK as well.

I found more choice in the store than online. There seem to be tanga, and then bikinis, which have far more material at the side.

Interfluvials Sat 24-Oct-20 05:11:05

I was pleasantly surprised by the ones from next. Ordered a pack whilst ordering the kids clothes. Far better than M&S ones!

LunaNorth Sat 24-Oct-20 05:12:50

Stripe and Stare.

The blue tie dye ones make me particularly happy.

RainingBatsAndFrogs Sat 24-Oct-20 05:29:21

I had bought packs of M&S pants for decades, then tried TU from Sainsbury’s, the cotton bikini styles. So much better. Better quality, have lasted well.

feesh Sat 24-Oct-20 05:36:39

I’ve been having similar issues with M&S, so I saw a recommendation on here recently for a company called “Ella and Me” and took a punt on their pants! They were delivered last week and they’re fab - I’m really happy with them. They’re made from bamboo and also made in England - it’s a small company so it felt quite good to support them instead of a big high street chain.

kowari Sat 24-Oct-20 06:55:01

I just have the black 5 pack from Sainsburys. They are 95% cotton. I bought two packs a year ago and they are still looking fine.

Hyperfish101 Sat 24-Oct-20 07:02:03

Second Sloggi. Wash well.

Hyperfish101 Sat 24-Oct-20 07:04:09

On Sloggi. They have mini, midi and maxi. Their maxi is great for wearing under dresses. No vpl or overhang on waistband. I live big pants! smile

Ohdeariedear Sat 24-Oct-20 07:10:12

I’ve swapped from M&S knickers to Sainsbury’s. Really comfy and reasonably well wearing for the price.

Gulpingcoffee Sat 24-Oct-20 07:16:04

Another vote for Ella and Me. They’re all I buy now and made in the UK. Used to be kinky knickers (not that they made anything kinky) but they rebranded.

HomerRoberts Sat 24-Oct-20 07:17:29

I’ve tried Sainsbury’s cotton bikini ones before but found them uncomfortable, unless they’ve changed them recently.

My knicker drawer is half full of knickers i’ve only worn once because they’re so uncomfortable. And with not going on holiday I haven’t made the obligatory pre-holiday new knicker purchase this year grin

Some good suggestions on here for places I’m not aware of so will check those out, thanks

twolittleboysonetiredmum Sat 24-Oct-20 07:19:24

Always after pants that don’t go up my bum! I just looked at Ella and me - does anyone know if there’s somewhere on the site that tells you about each different design? Trying to tell which ones will give full bum coverage

Pineapplemonkey Sat 24-Oct-20 07:30:14

I recently had a similar problem and after a lot of searching, for the first time ever, bought knickers on Amazon! Look for the brand Innersy, very very good quality and comfortable, and all have lots of good reviews

HomerRoberts Sat 24-Oct-20 07:56:10

Another vote for Ella and Me. They’re all I buy now and made in the UK. Used to be kinky knickers (not that they made anything kinky) but they rebranded

Hmm... not surprised they’re increasing business after changing their name. I wouldn’t be interested in a company that thinks kinky knickers is a good name for marketing women’s underwear.

OpEd Sat 24-Oct-20 08:03:05

Buy bigger. I'm an 8-10 and I find buying a 12 better to stop them going up your bum. I was keen on Calvin Klein for a while but they've all shrunk and now go up your bum crack 😒

HomerRoberts Sat 24-Oct-20 08:04:33

Yep, already done that for years too

HomerRoberts Sat 24-Oct-20 08:05:06

Although I find that if they are too big the bum scrunching is worse

CailleachO Sat 24-Oct-20 08:06:19

Dkny knickers from tkmaxx. They have 5% elasticine and stay in place. I find them very comfy with lots of coverage.

Pigletpoglet Sat 24-Oct-20 08:06:53

Victoria's Secret (if you can close your eyes to the vomit inducing word 'panties'): www.victoriassecret.com/gb/vs/panties-catalog/victoria-s-secret-stretch-cotton-high-leg-brief-panty-5000000028?brand=vs&collectionId=ee8d8355-d20c-43f5-98b6-b01eeb3cb79f&limit=180&productId=eca0945f-d42b-4d07-9e9d-9d5c070325b7&stackId=daac562b-10df-46e4-a6c7-8efe37293b83
Some 7 yr old ones in my drawer that are still going pretty strong, but they're not cheap. SOOOO comfy though...

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in