Talk

Advanced search

Ex's grandfather put me in will.

(138 Posts)
reducingfootprint Fri 23-Oct-20 17:29:45

This is my daughters situation.
She dated her ex from 18 to 23, ended badly and have not spoken in 4 years.
Grandfather and DD got on, she is a caring person and probably to be polite listened to all his stories etc. He lived on her route to her bus stop so would drop his newspaper etc round every morning, she says his family werent the most caring or couldnt be bothered with him. They both have an interest in nature and the environment etc, she says they were close but not overly. She viewed him as her partners grandfather and nothing more.

He has since passed and DD was contacted to say he has left her a sum of around 15k to her but not much to his own family.
WWYD?

OP’s posts: |
stillsomewhatsheldonesque Fri 23-Oct-20 17:30:45

Honour his wishes.

Dinosauraddict Fri 23-Oct-20 17:31:06

I think it's lovely he did that for her. She should honour his wishes.

chipsandpeas Fri 23-Oct-20 17:31:29

accept it - if the family didnt care when he was alive then why should he have left them money
he obv thought a lot of your DD

Aquamarine1029 Fri 23-Oct-20 17:32:19

He wanted her to have that money. She should accept it, be grateful for it, and put it to good use.

LightUpLetters Fri 23-Oct-20 17:32:37

Keep it. He wanted her to have it

viques Fri 23-Oct-20 17:35:47

Be proud of your lovely daughter, be proud too that someone else has recognised her caring ,kind nature and rewarded it.

It might be of course that the old fella left her the money to spite his family members, but that doesn’t take away from the fact that he chose your dd to leave it to, not the dogs home. grin

In either case I hope she enjoys spending it.

Toscata Fri 23-Oct-20 17:36:17

It was his money, to leave however he wanted, and that's exactly what he did.

Sounds like your daughter brought more to his life than his family members did.

lunar1 Fri 23-Oct-20 17:37:56

She should honour his wishes.

justgeton Fri 23-Oct-20 17:38:44

There's no question about what to do imo. You respect his wishes.

I imagine he thought long and hard about that.. why would you not accept it?

Your daughter should be proud.

MegaClutterSlut Fri 23-Oct-20 17:41:44

She should take it, it sounds like she deserves it smile

FedUpAtHomeTroels Fri 23-Oct-20 17:42:06

Sounds like he liked her better than his own family. Accept it and enjoy.

Disfordarkchocolate Fri 23-Oct-20 17:42:44

Take the money. I'd be tempted to make a little donation to a charity in line with his interests. Shy sounds lovely.

TeaOneSugar Fri 23-Oct-20 17:43:36

What's the question? What would you do other than accept it?

SuitedandBooted Fri 23-Oct-20 17:44:02

He would have thought hard about who he wanted to give his money to. He obviously valued your daughter's care and attention.

Honour his wishes.

Chloemol Fri 23-Oct-20 17:44:29

Accept it, it’s what he wanted to happen

Anderton Fri 23-Oct-20 17:46:03

She made a difference to his life and he’s shown her how much he appreciated it. She should take the money, are the family trying to suggest she shouldn’t?

Beamur Fri 23-Oct-20 17:52:25

Take the money.
A lovely gesture from him to your DD I would say. Possibly also intended as a message for his family beyond the grave!

Charleyhorses Fri 23-Oct-20 18:03:12

She should Take it.

BIWI Fri 23-Oct-20 18:05:18

I'm not really sure what the problem is here! It was his will, a lovely thing for her, and she must accept it. There is no reason why she shouldn't, is there?

MsTSwift Fri 23-Oct-20 18:07:43

Awww that’s a lovely story. A friend was contacted by a solicitor as an elderly man she had chatted to as a bar maid in her holiday job as a student left her £1k with instructions it be spent on a good night out

unmarkedbythat Fri 23-Oct-20 18:09:34

Accept the money, almost certainly, unless there was something else going on to make me feel like I really couldn't.

katy1213 Fri 23-Oct-20 18:10:25

You don't do anything. He left it to your daughter, not you (or so I assume, despite the heading!) - good for her and I hope she enjoys it!

Redcups64 Fri 23-Oct-20 18:11:45

Be proud of your daughter. To her he was just her boyfriends grandad, but to him she was obviously a lot more. Elderly really value and care for people who care for them, especially if that person doesn’t need to.

Nancydrawn Fri 23-Oct-20 18:11:55

I think it's lovely. I also think it would be lovely to take a small amount of the money (say, £250) and donate it to a charity dedicated to nature and/or the environment in his memory.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in