Talk

Advanced search

Help! I need to buy a laptop and haven't bought one since 2008!

(11 Posts)
JanewaysBun Wed 07-Oct-20 15:19:32

My little 12 year old laptop isn't compatible with my work systems and I want to work out what I want in case I want/need to WFH.

I will replace my old laptop so I would like something that is good vs the cheapest one to do the job. But equally I don't want to spend over 500 quid as Word etc will be purchased on top.

What do I need to consider?
I know I need one with a big ish screen (1r inch plus as I usually have 2 screens at work) and want a DVD drive but not sure what else i should look for. I'm not gaming just surfing/using word/watching DVDS and mainly YouTube (so I could use it whilst cooking)

I remember ram being a thing back in the day? What processor do I need for it to run well?
I guess lenovo/dell/hp would be a good brand?

Thank you!

OP’s posts: |
sarahb083 Wed 07-Oct-20 15:58:51

Hi OP,

What screen size do you want? (your post says 1r inch)
Most laptops now won't have DVD drives - is that a must have for you?
Do you mind how heavy it is?

I'm happy to recommend some options.

Unless you are sure you need Word for work, I wouldn't recommend it - Google Docs is free and much easier to use. You can also save Google Docs files in Word format.

MissConductUS Wed 07-Oct-20 16:13:58

There are loads of laptop reviews online

www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=uk+best+budget+laptops

I've always had Dells at home and HP's at work and both have been very reliable. As sarah mentioned laptops no longer come with built-in DVD drives. If you really need one you can get an external one that connects via USB. I have a Toshiba external DVD drive that I haven't actually needed in years, but when I did it worked fine and was surprisingly cheap.

Have fun shopping. smile

JanewaysBun Wed 07-Oct-20 16:43:07

Thank you both!

I was thinking 14 inch or so. I have 2 x large screens at work so need to have at least 2 docs open at once.

I need word I think as that's what some of my work things open with annoyingly!

Ah 're DVD drives I could always buy the extra thing, I was thinking I could use it in the kitchen to watch my DVD whilst I'm cooking so not like I'll need it on the go.

Weight - I suppose light is good incase i need to carry it places although I don't really need to atm.

I have a Dell atm and it has lasted me 12 years so would defo buy again. My first ever (and only!) Computer!

BashfulClam Wed 07-Oct-20 16:59:20

If you need to work at biome your employer should be supplying a laptop and screen(s) both my husband and I have work provided equipment.

JanewaysBun Wed 07-Oct-20 18:05:06

I'm actually rather irritated about this @BashfulClam as my DH work also sent him the whole dual screen shebang and u agree they should loan me something to use.

I've been told that it's basically they wont and I need to buy one if I can't come into the office. Which I think is rubbish as the company is normally really really good at looking after us. Also extra annoying as I'm not sure I even want to stay long term as am deciding whether to be a sahm (i work v part time so not even covering nursery/Even when they're at school won't make a difference to our lives) so I don't even make a profit after paying childcare when I work anyway! ( know it's half DH's cost but even then I only make a tiny amount)

Rant over.

JanewaysBun Wed 07-Oct-20 18:06:21

So anyone in my position who is a LP is basicslly screwed, so I'm whining about my own issue but actually think it's rather terrible for people who can't just buy new tech.

MissConductUS Wed 07-Oct-20 18:16:10

The 12 year old Dell you have now is more or less a paperweight and would have to be replaced regardless, unless you'd have no use for it as a SAHM.

I love your handle, by the way. grin

JanewaysBun Wed 07-Oct-20 18:22:20

Haha thanks! An iconic hair dogrin

AlCalavicci Wed 07-Oct-20 19:06:17

Watching with interest as I have a 7 yr old HP notebook that is giving me grief with it's display .

PH03b3 Wed 07-Oct-20 19:33:29

Also watching I have a 5yr old Asus which cost £200 and I badly need an upgrade it has 2 thingys when I am seeing them with 8 now (think it's ram?)

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in