Talk

Advanced search

if you wear glasses what do you do at hairdressers

(18 Posts)
nitgel Tue 06-Oct-20 10:26:47

when you have to sit for ages when having colour etc. I have tried just looking at pics in magazines but they're blurry and even with my phone magnified it's hard to read. grin

OP’s posts: |
Pootles34 Tue 06-Oct-20 10:33:42

This is pretty much the only time I wear contacts now! I just can't sit for that long without them on - I feel really vulnerable being unable to see.

You could take headphones and listen to a podcast?

hazelnutmochi Tue 06-Oct-20 10:36:14

My hairdresser gives me some of the foil they use for highlighting to wrap around the arms. Doesn't look great but don't wear contacts and love using the time to read a magazine.

AgathaX Tue 06-Oct-20 10:36:57

I wear contacts now but when I just wore glasses I wore my spare pair at the hairdressers and then gave them a good wash when I got home.

ScrapThatThen Tue 06-Oct-20 10:38:02

She only asks me to remove them for a small part of the cutting.

nitgel Tue 06-Oct-20 11:02:48

i think the arms would be in the way even with foil. i will try the podcast. i guess it's a minor problem in the current circs.

OP’s posts: |
IamPickleRick Tue 06-Oct-20 11:04:24

Yeah I put my contacts on or sneakily just keep putting my specs on quickly to keep checking what they are up to!

LizzieBananas Tue 06-Oct-20 11:08:11

Some combination of podcast (with old earphones) and trusting them (I’ve had the same style, colour and hairdresser for literally a decade). They do offer foil over the glasses arms too.

PowerhouseOfTheCell Tue 06-Oct-20 11:25:35

Just squint and pray they don't mess it up

CaptainMyCaptain Tue 06-Oct-20 11:29:07

When I get my hair cut I just take them off. I colour my own hair at home and wear my most recent old pair.

Babdoc Tue 06-Oct-20 11:35:22

I don’t get hair dye, just a wash and cut. I take my specs off for the duration, and chat to my hairdresser, who is a lovely bloke and a hoot. For those who don’t enjoy chatting, there is always quiet background music on to listen to in the salon. I just pop my specs back on at the end to inspect his efforts. The other customers often join in a group chat, it’s a v friendly place. We have a good laugh, which is cheering when one lives alone!

movingonup20 Tue 06-Oct-20 11:37:12

I leave them off but I can read without them (can't see distances.

boredwithmylastusername Tue 06-Oct-20 11:41:43

Take my old pair then it doesn't matter if I get them covered in dye

LindaEllen Tue 06-Oct-20 11:43:47

I take mine off, but I always leave with a headache because of it. I have tried contacts but I couldn't get them in my eyes, after a LONG time of trying.

SoddingWeddings Tue 06-Oct-20 11:53:38

I wear them. I once had a hairdresser tell me that glasses make no difference to the style of a haircut - erm no, it still needs to suit me with my glasses on actually and they make a HUGE difference to my face.

They should be able to cut perfectly well with them on unless you have a fringe etc in which case, remove them at that point then put back on.

MrsT1405 Tue 06-Oct-20 12:23:44

Here in Spain they have like little condoms that go over the sides if your glasses.

Foxyloxy1plus1 Tue 06-Oct-20 12:44:14

I can’t see how you can cut a short hairstyle, cut round the ears if you’re wearing glasses. I used to wear contacts at the hairdresser, but otherwise I’d put them on now and then to see how it was looking.

sueelleker Tue 06-Oct-20 14:39:06

I put mine back on while the colour is setting, and just wipe the legs afterwards. It's the mask that's more fun at the moment-I use a disposable one, and throw it away afterwards (the strings go brown from the dye)

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in