iPad purchase advice and recommendations please?

(18 Posts)
BornAgainTechNovice Tue 29-Sep-20 17:31:39

Considering buying an iPad, I’m not rich by any means but can afford to buy outright, but don’t want to waste my money.

Not happy buying 2nd hand but happy to buy “as new” older versions and as the new one is just out I was thinking older ones would be cheaper but from mainstream searches that doesn’t really seem to be the case which surprises me.

I used to be much more savvy on tech but sadly seem to be turning into my parents and feel completely overwhelmed with all the spec info so need someone to put in basic terms for me.

Use - mainly as most people browsing, streaming etc but maybe in the near future for admin style work but still fairly basic/standard “office” type use

I also want to buy from someone that gives good customer service if there’s any problems - hopefully there won’t be but just in case

Tips on insurance would probably be good too.

I also need it delivered and in such a way as it’s NOT left on the doorstep as that wouldn’t be safe here. Especially for such a valuable item.

Hopefully all that means minimal drip feeding though I’m happy to answer questions

I’m in Uk Scotland if that makes a difference.

OP’s posts: |
PlanDeRaccordement Tue 29-Sep-20 17:48:43

I would buy direct from Apple store online. They have insurance you can buy when you buy the iPad. That said, they are sturdy and I’ve never damaged one so I tend to skip the insurance. You always have free text support by online chat and phone.
Unless you are downloading movies, books, music, the lower 64GB should be enough storage.
I personally like the new mini iPad because the regular one is too large/heavy for me to hold comfortably.

PlanDeRaccordement Tue 29-Sep-20 17:49:14

*text should be tech

DivisionBelles Tue 29-Sep-20 17:51:23

Check out the refurbished ones in the Apple store online. I've bought two from them now, and both have been as new, with all accessories and you get the same Apple warranty as if brand new.

BaseDrops Tue 29-Sep-20 17:54:50

Everything PlanDeRaccordement said.

I would only buy a reconditioned one direct from Apple. The battery is the bit that tends to go. If you are going to go for an older model I wouldn’t get anything below a gen 6 or the one called something like new mini. If you are worried about it getting broken get a decent case but the ones that cope with dropping/water are heavy and add bulk.

NanTheWiser Tue 29-Sep-20 17:55:26

Best place to buy from is John Lewis, you get their 2 year guarantee, and customer service is usually excellent. I bought a new one (well, 7th gen. IOS13.7, but I think there is a later one just released). It has a lot more features than older versions, and I think it's great. I can't actually remember what happened when it was delivered, but I don't think it was left on the doorstep (in my porch). Possibly they email you when delivery is expected.

BornAgainTechNovice Tue 29-Sep-20 18:03:07

Thank you. I did wonder if buying direct from Apple was best option. But I don’t know how they deliver? Does anyone know?

Not interested in refurbished - been burned on that before

I may want to download stuff I’m not sure have bad memories of getting low memory tech in the past and it quickly becoming slow and unusable

@NanTheWiser doorstep delivery is a covid thing. I get why some are doing it but I’m in a high crime area and it would just vanish!

Advertisement

FatGirlShrinking Tue 29-Sep-20 18:11:34

I have the iPad mini 2019 which was £499 brand new and has 64gb storage.

I download films and tv series, music and apps. Never even come close to filling it.

I got it as a kindle replacement, wanted something I could chuck in my handbag, use to read books but also use to browse the web and watch shows.

I love it, no way i could go back to a kindle now, my DD still has one and so sluggish in comparison.

I'd buy from Apple direct or John Lewis for warranty and support reasons.

purplecorkheart Tue 29-Sep-20 18:15:24

This may not be helpful but I switched from Apple Ipad to a Samsung Tablet and would never go back. External storage options, faster charging and price are my reasons. I find the selection of apps better.

StitchInTimeSavesNine Tue 29-Sep-20 18:15:53

Yes, Apple do deliver. Neat day delivery. You choose a slot. When we had a delivery from them last week the courier knocked and we opened the door and they put it on the floor inside then took a photo of the parcel and the open door.

3rdNamechange Tue 29-Sep-20 18:25:20

You can add them on to some phone contracts and pay monthly (pick up in the shop)
I know you said you will pay outright, but an alternative.

filka Tue 29-Sep-20 18:45:10

Are you committed to the Apple experience (e.g. have other Apple hardware)? If not, consider an Android tablet such as Huawei MediaPad.
www.argos.co.uk/product/7261464?clickSR=slp:term:mediapad:9:9:1

Also can have a dual login if you need to share (e.g. with a child), which I don't think you can do on an iPad.

captainprincess Tue 29-Sep-20 18:51:15

I got a new iPad in July from John Lewis, 2 year guarantee and competitively priced. And, got delivered to my local Waitrose so could collect smile

BornAgainTechNovice Tue 29-Sep-20 19:14:08

John Lewis I just spoke to and they use Hermes! Hate them so not using them

@StitchInTimeSavesNine that sounds perfect I will check with Apple they could do same for me

I have an android tablet and hate it to be honest. Have an iPhone and it’s so much faster and easier to use

Which specific iPad would people recommend spec wise? Best value for money and will last? In terms of updates and memory?

BornAgainTechNovice Mon 11-Jan-21 03:25:01

Back again! Haven’t yet bought the iPad but got some money from Santa for Xmas and I really don’t want to end up with it disappearing and my having little to show for it.

Really want to get this ordered, thinking I’ll call Apple re delivery method and timing tomorrow.

Couple questions though

Asking this one again hope that’s ok

Which specific iPad would people recommend spec wise? Best value for money and will last? In terms of updates and memory?

I mean which model and memory size would people recommend?

Also what about covers/stands and pencils (if I get a model where the pencil works, not sure if that’s all models)

Also I already have an Alexa thingy can I use that with an iPad and if so is it easy to set up and use?

BornAgainTechNovice Mon 11-Jan-21 21:34:28

Bumping as posted at a weird time hoping people can help

BornAgainTechNovice Thu 14-Jan-21 09:11:59

Bumping again if no luck this time I may start a new thread.

Also iPad users are you easily able to watch and even buy prime video and if so how does it work in practical terms - logging into prime account etc

I use prime video a lot

Thimbleberries Thu 14-Jan-21 09:35:14

I got mine from John Lewis and did a click and collect, which meant that no worries about security, but I still got their extra warranty. they let you collect at Waitrose and other places now instead of the stores.

It still means I can go to the Apple store if needed to ask about anythign (or at least call them these days I guess, not go in!).

I got a Pro, the 2018 version as the new ones had just come out, and I got the smaller size and smaller memory, as that was fine for me without streaming etc. - I just use it for work.

I particularly liked the pencil (second gen) for the sort of work I do. the second gen pencil just magnetically clips to the side of the Ipad pro (not sure about the others) so it charges whenever it's attached without any special attachment or plugging in, and there is no pairing needed or anything, it's just automatically ready to go. It doesn't come with a spare tip like the first gen though, which is a bit sneaky of them. (I'ts not that expensive, £19 for 4 new tips, but more the principle of it!). I've not used a new tip yet and I've had it nine months with daily use. I think I could probably use a new tip though, but that's more because I've dropped it several times!

I'm not sure I would use it for a lot of office apps though. Mine is mostly for meetings, and using the whiteboard in that, and also various other apps.

I have an Apple folio case with keyboard, and a 360 degree swivel stand that lets me set it up high on the table and turn it in all directions, which is helpful if I want to use the reverse camera to show someone something on the table for example, aand then switch back to the normal camera for the meeting. However, unlike my old keyboard case, this keyboard only works when the iPad is in it. So if it is on the stand, I can't use the keyboard case, and have to get out the keyboard from my old case (which doesn't fit the new iPad as a case, but works fine as a keyboard). So beware of little things like that.

I would also like to use the Ipad for reading music, so kind of wish I'd got the larger size, but it was too expensive!

John Lewis do 'returned' ones at cheaper prices at times. They're not necessarily refurbished, just returned as unwanted, and they can show you what the condition is like - I got a phone from there where it was clearly unused as the plugs etc hadn't even been unwrapped. It was still about £200 cheaper. However that was only available in store, and I don't know if there is a way to find similar on their website.

You should be able to watch prime video etc on it, and if you are just streaming, then I don't think you will use up the memory, though obviously you will if you are buying.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in