Talk

Advanced search

Career advice needed - stuck and unhappy

(5 Posts)
pifflepaffle13 Mon 28-Sep-20 13:47:49

Hi everyone. Name changed but long time user. I also posted in 'work' but thought it would be worth posting here too.

I'm after some advice and guidance please. It's a bit of a long story and a mess, so thank you for reading!

I'm mid-thirties, have 2 small children, not planning on having any more. Settled and happily married. My work/career, however, is a total mess. Since I left uni I have worked in a variety of jobs relating to my subject, both as an admin type person, as well as in more practical roles. I trained to be a very specific thing 10 years ago, and have been working in that role in between having children. I've worked in schools and hospitals mainly in this role.

I don't enjoy this role and find it hugely stressful. There are many reasons why and I have decided that I need to get out now and do something else with my career. I have thought about teacher training in the subject I did at uni and have subsequently trained in further. I suffer hugely from imposter syndrome, however, and I don't think this is ever going to go away (I've worked hard and overcoming this but it still looms over me). I always feel like I'm not good enough at this thing so why would I ever be able to teach it.

So. I think I need to do something completely different and unrelated to that subject, however I have no idea where to start. I have thought about what I enjoy and what I find stressful, as below:

Enjoy working with people as part of small team, enjoy being creative and thinking of new ideas, enjoy working with people, like stability of one place (so not moving around a lot), quiet and calm environments are best, talking and being with people I enjoy a lot as well as being able to get stuck into projects.

Things I find stressful include working in a very fast paced way, working in very big teams, talking in front of large groups, being put on the spot etc. Moving around a lot and not having a base I also don't like.

Can anyone suggest some roles/career paths that might fit with these things? I'm not hugely academic, much more creative, but I am a good communicator, work hard and am bright. I know I'm probably being too vague so happy to answer more questions if more info needed!

Thank you so much in advance, I appreciate any help I can get!

OP’s posts: |
Crocciesnap Mon 28-Sep-20 13:53:00

I think teaching is actually something you should consider more. I have a very similar set of circumstances to you and also have hugely lacked confidence. I have taught abroad for a while and being a teacher is completely different - you are naturally assertive as people consider you the leader and I found it completely different to impostor syndrome in the corporate world. Talking in a big meeting is not the same as teaching a class. You know you have the answers as a teacher - so the self-doubt isn't the same. I'm considering teacher training once my DC is a bit older - I can't easily think of other careers either where it's easy to retrain and start an established career path. Hopefully others have some other ideas too.

pifflepaffle13 Mon 28-Sep-20 14:06:22

Thank you @Crocciesnap

I see what you mean about the speaking in front of people thing. The problem is, the subject involves a lot of performing in front of others (you can probably guess what it is!!) which is also hugely anxiety provoking. I will consider it more but just wondered if anyone has any other ideas.

Thanks so much for replying!

Ormally Mon 28-Sep-20 15:20:45

I am not sure whether this would be a stand-alone, predictable income but you might want to look at options for some franchised baby or toddler groups if you like children. I was thinking particularly of things like Baby Sensory, Toddler Sense or Gymboree (but many others available). These would definitely need creativity and you could define your own base/location, to an extent. The groups are medium to large but it shouldn't be a case of serious/intimidating public performance!

pifflepaffle13 Mon 28-Sep-20 17:14:13

Thanks @Ormally - I had considered something like this, or even setting up my own thing. However I think it would be quite isolating - I wouldn't have any immediate colleagues and I think it would get quite lonely after a while. Definitely a good suggestion though, thank you! smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in