Talk

Advanced search

How much of the roast do you eat before serving it??

(39 Posts)
2anddone Sun 27-Sep-20 17:54:43

Just cooking a roast for me and dc. Casually carving chicken and it just occurred to me that actually I eat just as much carving the chicken and dishing up as I do at the table!! Please tell me I am not the only one!!

OP’s posts: |
CakeGirl2020 Sun 27-Sep-20 17:57:07

I cooked a roast chicken Friday and thought the same! I start with the skin, once I have devoured that I have to check it’s Breast and legs are juicy and not dry obviously but it’s so tasty I must eat a good old amount

Pinkstars2501 Sun 27-Sep-20 18:00:16

Pretty much all the skin off the chicken. And the parsons nose. Chefs perks isn't it?
DH gets one half of the breast skin. There's only the two of us and he only eats the breast, I eat the leg and the rest gets used for other meals so I don't think he even notices.

Come to think of it that's the only thing I eat before serving.

Proudling Sun 27-Sep-20 18:02:32

Chefs perks! The only reason to cook a whole chicken is so you get to eat all the best bits while you carve it grin

vanillandhoney Sun 27-Sep-20 18:03:03

All the chicken skin. DH is a weirdo and doesn't like it and there is no way I'm sharing it with the cats or the dog grin

MysweetAudrina Sun 27-Sep-20 18:03:27

Especially roast beef, I love the first slice with some salt.

happymummy12345 Sun 27-Sep-20 18:03:36

None

fluffedup Sun 27-Sep-20 18:04:05

Well, you have to check it's cooked properly!

OneFiveFour Sun 27-Sep-20 18:05:05

I think the dogs here must be too spoiled - because the real question in this house is "how much of the roast do you give to the dogs before serving it?"

grin

ShrimpSymphony Sun 27-Sep-20 18:06:51

What’s the parsons nose? confused

mynameiscalypso Sun 27-Sep-20 18:07:30

DH doesn't really know how to cook so I tell him that you need to remove the chicken skin in order to serve it. Then I stand in the kitchen eating all the salty crispy skin goodness.

TheFormerPorpentinaScamander Sun 27-Sep-20 18:09:42

Maybe one slice of meat, but on the rare occasion I do a roast I only cook a small joint that serves 2. (There are 2 of us that eat it.)

megletthesecond Sun 27-Sep-20 18:12:11

Loads of skin.
We only have roast chicken at Xmas (I'm eat mainly veggie food) so I make the most of it.

midgebabe Sun 27-Sep-20 18:15:09

It's not eating, it's taste testing

JaJaDingDong Sun 27-Sep-20 18:18:10

The parson's nose is the chicken's tail. It's disgusting, even though some people will tell you it's the best bit!

TheQueef Sun 27-Sep-20 18:22:44

By the time I've sat down to eat I don't want it.
I let everyone think I'm just tired.
Really I've already had my two yorkies that I make extra to check the oven and the gravy. Had my five a day between raw and cooked veg and eaten all the carving trimmings.
Yeah I'm tired.

Bluntness100 Sun 27-Sep-20 18:26:12

None to be honest, it genuinely wouldn’t occur to me to do so, but then I don’t carve it, I put it on the table in a serving dish and we carve at the table.

MargotMoon Sun 27-Sep-20 18:28:48

JaJaDingDong

The parson's nose is the chicken's tail. It's disgusting, even though some people will tell you it's the best bit!

They are wrong - the oysters are the best bit! Chef's secret wink

magicstar1 Sun 27-Sep-20 18:29:00

None if it’s chicken. But for lamb, beef, pork or ham I have a couple of slices on bread and butter just to make sure it’s cooked well wink.

Sunbird24 Sun 27-Sep-20 18:31:27

I tend to chew the string once it’s been cut off the roast beef. Lots of flavour in the knots!

Bluntness100 Sun 27-Sep-20 18:33:22

magicstar1

None if it’s chicken. But for lamb, beef, pork or ham I have a couple of slices on bread and butter just to make sure it’s cooked well wink.

Isn’t that a sandwich,,,,😂

Popcornismandatory Sun 27-Sep-20 18:44:24

If I'm cooking roast beef or gammon then I will need to keep slicing bits off just to check it's deliciousness of course. Roast chicken I don't tend to unless a wing falls off as I lift it from the oven smile

shitinmyhandsandclap Sun 27-Sep-20 18:47:45

I scoff the crispy lamb skin before DP gets near, it's the best bit

PegasusReturns Sun 27-Sep-20 18:48:04

The meat gets carved at the table but I definitely nab one or two of the really crispy potatoes.

UtterlyUnimaginativeUsername Sun 27-Sep-20 18:48:18

DH just made a lovely lump of roast sirloin, and I snuck in and ate a big wodge of mustard crusted edge while he was making the gravy blush

In Ireland, the parson's nose is called the pope's nose. I didn't know it existed till DH told me, when I was 20. My dad had eaten every single one for all those year, and kept it a secret.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in