Talk

Advanced search

Can you finish a tin of baked beans in one sitting?

(26 Posts)
faithfulbird Fri 25-Sep-20 14:27:17

It's a no from me. I'm the only one that eats them or had to eat them. We opened a can 2 days ago and it's only today I managed to finish them. DH nor DD (3) like them. We don't even buy them regularly. But every time I watch TV or a YouTube video, the person whom I'm watching is eating them with a spoon from the can and like spoons and spoons of them! I honestly couldn't even manage half a tin in one sitting on its own. Do u guys eat them on their own or as a side?

OP’s posts: |
amusedbush Fri 25-Sep-20 14:29:14

I don't eat them often but if I'm having beans on toast as a main meal then I'll have two slices of toast, a full tin of beans and a sprinkle of grated cheese on top.

BayandBlonde Fri 25-Sep-20 14:34:21

Yes! Pour out the excess sauce, squirt loads on brown sauce on the cold beans and eat 😋

Thisisnotnormal69 Fri 25-Sep-20 14:35:59

Every time you watch tv or YouTube there’s someone on screen eating a whole tin of baked beans? Eh?! What are you watching?!

BogRollBOGOF Fri 25-Sep-20 14:36:29

Two rounds of drippy, buttery toast, tin of beans with worcester sauce.
Bliss grin

BarbaraofSeville Fri 25-Sep-20 14:36:45

I don't think eating them with a spoon from the can is normal though is it?

I'd say they do between 2 and 4 people as a side with other things or possibly like amused says as a big beans on toast meal.

If we have any left over they usually go in the freezer to end up in chilli.

RoseMartha Fri 25-Sep-20 14:41:16

I will eat a whole large tin if using for a make do dinner for myself with toast and cheese. I never eat them cold though.

If we have them with a meal eg burger, I share the tin between me and the dc.

We dont eat loads of baked beans maybe 2 tins a month.

Scbchl Fri 25-Sep-20 14:44:04

If we were having them as an accompaniment for dinner we'd usually have a tin between us. If I'm having them for lunch or dinner myself, il have the whole tin heated up with grated cheese stirred through till it melts..mozzarella is my favourite.

MrsAvocet Fri 25-Sep-20 14:44:31

No. I use one can for 4 of us as a side. If I'm doing beans on toast I will usually use one large and one small can between us as that's plenty. Two large is probably cheaper actually but I am making a big effort to cut down on food waste.

ReturnofSaturn Fri 25-Sep-20 14:44:45

Half a can with two pieces of toast for me on the rare occasion I have beans on toast.

Noshowlomo Fri 25-Sep-20 14:45:41

@BarbaraofSeville what good idea! I often throw out half a tin!

But to answer the question, I have a whole tin, 2 toasts and loads of black pepper

AlwaysLatte Fri 25-Sep-20 14:47:13

Only if everyone else stands clear!!

TweetUsOnFacebook Fri 25-Sep-20 14:47:25

I could manage a whole can if that was my whole meal, but generally I have half a can on a slice of buttered toast with a heap of grated cheddar 😋

LizzieMacQueen Fri 25-Sep-20 14:52:53

One can between 4 as a side is quite a small portion.

Beans on toast as a main meal would be one tin per person.

As a side then 1/2 tin pp.

And always Heinz.

BarbaraofSeville Fri 25-Sep-20 15:23:01

Well if DP and I have beans as a side, eg with cooked breakfast or something like fish fingers and chips, there is always some left, so I assumed that a whole tin would be fine for 2 adults and 2 smallish DC.

I wouldn't have a full tin of beans for beans on toast, but I don't do the 'big main meal' thing, generally eating 3 or 4 smallish meals a day instead of one big one and 2 small ones.

We get Branston ones, Heinz are nasty.

lazylinguist Fri 25-Sep-20 15:24:35

I could if I liked Baked Beans. Well... I mean, I could anyway, but I'd rather not.

PilatesPeach Fri 25-Sep-20 15:30:30

No half a tin for me whether as a side or as beans on toast but with my beans on toast I usually have 2 slices of toast and put the beans on one and some sauted mushrooms on the other and often some grated cheese.

Itsmemaggie Fri 25-Sep-20 15:37:09

Why don’t you buy the small tins?

BarbaraofSeville Fri 25-Sep-20 15:40:05

Small tins cost the same or often more than big tins, and some supermarkets like Aldi or Lidl don't sell small tins.

However, a lot of these things that people say they waste, I either freeze or ignore the date and use them.

Things like bits of beans, canned tomatoes and peppers just go in the freezer and then every so often I pull them all out and just go in a big 'odds and ends chilli'.

FinallyHere Fri 25-Sep-20 18:01:40

There are many different sizes of tins.

Not often keen on baked beans but breakfast this morning was a slice of toast and a whole, 150g tin of beans.

99victoria Fri 25-Sep-20 18:05:00

My 2.5 year old grand-daughter can. She ate a whole tin for dinner last night - 3 helpings! smile

pimble Fri 25-Sep-20 18:05:16

Can do here - one tin, a round of buttered toast and mayonnaise 😋

CakeGirl2020 Fri 25-Sep-20 18:08:49

Well I could but wouldn’t as I am not a huge fan of beans, so for example I’d have 1/2 the tin and a huge amount of cheese on my jacket potatoes and half a tin for toast as I don’t like the bread to be too wet if you see what I mean.

If you struggle to eat them buy the smallest cans surely?

Reedwarbler Fri 25-Sep-20 18:39:44

I use those Heinz plastic microwave pots that come in fours quite often. Not the cheapest way to buy, but one of those between 2 is perfect as part of a full English. But yes, I can eat a whole can on 2 slices of buttered and marmite toast as a main meal.

GinWithASplashOfTonic Fri 25-Sep-20 18:41:42

I can't polish off a large tin but I can eat a small tin one of those yoghurt pots they've started doing

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in