Talk

Advanced search

What is this on my thigh?

(18 Posts)
sesquipedalia Fri 25-Sep-20 14:20:05

Felt a sting through my trousers a couple of hours ago. Felt like a stinging nettle. I looked and saw a little red pin prick. It's still sore so I looked again and have a large red (growing) raised patch. What on earth is it??? Apologies for manky pic and manky thigh...

OP’s posts: |
Ginfordinner Fri 25-Sep-20 14:21:41

Wasp sting? Take some anti histamine.

peachescariad Fri 25-Sep-20 14:44:44

If it's a wasp sting, drench with vinegar and take an anti -histamine.
I work in a secondary school and I'm a first aider and we've just had a kid with a wasp sting on his head (obv didn't give kid antihistamine).

sesquipedalia Fri 25-Sep-20 15:18:11

Surprised not to have seen a wasp if that's what it is! Have applied anti histamine and it's still growing. Yuck

Twospaniels Fri 25-Sep-20 15:30:03

Have you got any antihistamine tablets rather than topical cream?

TooTrusting Fri 25-Sep-20 15:32:52

Keep an eye on it in case it's a spider bite. I can't see the red pin prick/epicentre, what size is it now? Is it itchy or painful? Yes to an antihistamine.

steppemum Fri 25-Sep-20 15:37:56

ignore the vinegar comments = old wives tale.

It could have been anything really, wasp, mosquito, spider, earwig etc.
All will be helped by antihistamine, but cream is really only for mild bites. A nasty bite does need oral antihistamine

camomileleaves Fri 25-Sep-20 15:48:21

Rub a raw cut in half onion on it! Fab for wasp stings!

BashfulClam Fri 25-Sep-20 17:16:58

steppemum

ignore the vinegar comments = old wives tale.

It could have been anything really, wasp, mosquito, spider, earwig etc.
All will be helped by antihistamine, but cream is really only for mild bites. A nasty bite does need oral antihistamine

Totally not an old wives take if it’s a wasp. I had a wasp sting my back and a wipe with vinegar neutralised it as the sting is alkaline. Amazing relief. If it’s another type of sting then it won’t work.

lilyboleyn Fri 25-Sep-20 18:11:53

Draw a line around the red bits so you can measure if it expands (and by how much).

sesquipedalia Fri 25-Sep-20 18:20:07

It's definitely expanding and hot to the touch. I'll apply more antihistamine but do I just hope it goes away? No sign of a clear bite or sting

Rainbowgravy Fri 25-Sep-20 19:08:05

Agree with taking an oral antihistamine and drawing round it. Keep a close eye on it.

GVmama Fri 25-Sep-20 19:14:46

Ouch! It could even be a hornet sting, I had one years ago and my whole upper leg was sore and itchy for weeks. It does look big for a wasp sting.

Shizzlestix Fri 25-Sep-20 20:40:05

Horsefly? Typical swelling. Draw an outline in sharpie round it. If it is much bigger tomorrow, go see a chemist at the minimum. Next time, if possible, heat up a spoon and press to the area, it disperses the histamine. Meanwhile, Piriton or other ASAP. The non branded is just as good and a darn sight cheaper.

Overseasmom100 Fri 25-Sep-20 20:56:36

Ooo that looks nasty would say hirsefly you must get an antihystemin now...if you dont have any perhaps nip to a local 24 hr chemist or supermarket need to take one tonight

Overseasmom100 Sat 26-Sep-20 23:33:32

How are you @sesquipedalia

goingtotown Sat 26-Sep-20 23:50:14

You need 1% hydrocortisone cream for the itching & swelling.

sesquipedalia Fri 02-Oct-20 14:19:39

Thanks all - got hard core anti histamines from the pharmacist which helped but at first be point it had gone past my knee!! Took a full week to go down ....

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in