Talk

Advanced search

Tell me a time when someone was wrong but insisted they were right.

(7 Posts)
CowgirlBride Fri 25-Sep-20 11:46:09

Just that really. Bit of fun on a Friday.

I'll start.
I was making a poster to advertise a course running at work, and put the times as 10am-12pm.
My colleague absolutely insisted that it should be 12am to go with 10am and would not listen when I said that 12am was midnight.
She would only believe me when I looked it up and showed it to her.
hmm

OP’s posts: |
Witchend Fri 25-Sep-20 11:57:04

I was involved in a practical joke a number of years back. Bit of fun, where we arranged for people all round the country to send the same card to one person. So on one particular week (ideally it would have been one day) they received 30 cards, all identical, from all over the UK, with different writing in them. Person receiving it thought it was funny, so we did it again the next year.

Mutual friend, who always "knows" everything announced a few years ago who he "knew" did it. He was wrong. grin

ChrisPrattsFace Fri 25-Sep-20 12:00:15

Me and my mum had a disagreement on the shape of her knife block. She insisted it was square and I told her it wasn’t And it was circular, she really got her own back up with a lot of it know in right’ and ‘i’ve had it for thirty years I know it’s square’ ... so I went and got it and showed her it was circular.
I really loved my told you so moment 😂

Ginkypig Fri 25-Sep-20 12:06:18

I had a friend who used to do stuff like that all the time!

eventually I worked out that lots of times she did it as a being in control thing because trauma in her history had left her feeling vulnerable.
the idea she might not be right etc puts her on a lower more vulnerable level.

she did it with me far more regularly more because as I eventually realised she didn't respect me enough to consider me as someone she should take a moment to think about what I was saying before deciding instead the pattern became if I said it it was immediately dismissed but If someone else said the same thing it would at least be considered.

There were a couple of times she came back saying Jon or Clare said <insert the same thing I'd said last month> But completely ignoring the fact that she had heard exactly that from me, as if we had never even had the same conversation.

That amongst other things means we are no longer friends or in touch but Iv heard she hasn't changed and a similar attitude has upset a couple of mutual friends but I completely stay out of it.

cctvrec Fri 25-Sep-20 12:07:00

God this was so stupid yet so frustrating.

My bestie. Talking about Chorizo and I said I loved the Spanish food. He said smugly that Chorizo is in fact, Italian.
As someone who spent quite some time in Spain I was well aware that it was a Spanish/Portuguese sausage and Italy had salami etc.
Bestie got really mad about it. So I simply googled it. There it was in black and white. Origin: Spain

He threw a tantrum still insisting he was right. 🤷‍♀️
I don't know if he ever would admit he was wrong.

Witchend Fri 25-Sep-20 12:09:06

And another:

When my dsis got a new bike, dbro was very jealous. He told her it would probably be pinched "within the week". So she showed him her new D-lock.
He said "Hmm! Anyone can break those easily. Look I can!"

So he fastened himself to a chair round his neck using the D-lock. he couldn't unfasten it.
Unfortunately dm thought we were being mean to laugh at him, and wouldn't let us have the camera to take a photo.

Simonsaysitschristmas Fri 25-Sep-20 12:12:33

I once went into a shop at the end of a very stressful day at work and my brain was absolute mush. I went to put my pin in and the card reader said it was incorrect. I tried twice more, absolutely adamant that I was entering the correct pin and told the man behind the counter his card reader must be faulty blush. My card ended up getting frozen due to all the incorrect attempts and I had to leave without my shopping.

As soon as I left the shop I realised I had been entering my pin in backwards (why??). Thank god the only people in the shop were me and the shop keeper.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in