Talk

Advanced search

Renting - do I have any come-back for these water charges?

(4 Posts)
blueskys72 Wed 23-Sep-20 21:15:33

Last year, Oct 28th, I reported a problem to the rental agency with the toilet cistern constantly filling.

The plumber eventually came a couple of weeks later and then we had a series of missed appointments/parts that couldn't be sourced/him being busy with other people's boiler problems etc. One visit he was "fixing" the main toilet instead of the en-suite! Turned out to be a really simple fix.

I've recently had a water meter reading and I owe them £600!! I'm currently/usually on a DD of £42 a month. This is clearly from when the toilet was running like a tap for weeks.

Do I have any comeback on the agency for their crap plumber? I do realise I'm grasping at straws ...

OP’s posts: |
MuseumOfYou Wed 23-Sep-20 21:51:44

This happened to us a few years ago, spoke to the water board and they refunded all the excess charges. They could see from the bill when the leak started and when it was fixed.

Violetroselily Wed 23-Sep-20 22:02:48

Its worth challenging with the water company - I had similar a few years ago in a rental where the bill upon leaving was humongous. They said we were using double the average daily amount of a 6 person household (bear in mind this was a 2 bed flat with 2 people!). They eventually agreed that clearly we could not have been using that much and agreed to wipe it.

Have you given a meter reading and can you work out how many litres it is per day?

blueskys72 Thu 24-Sep-20 06:11:11

I'll email screenshots of my agency emails and plumber texts to the water board and see if that works!

It looks like they came and did a meter reading themselves, so I'm not sure what the readings are at the moment.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in