Talk

Advanced search

When does a scallop actually die?

(12 Posts)
Jux Wed 23-Sep-20 14:47:25

Watching Hairy Bikers doing scallops - one of my favourite foods, otherwise I'd have switched off.

Do they die when you take them out of the sea, like fish do, or do they die when you cut them out of their shell? Should you give them a quick death, or is it kinder to maybe boil them slowly like the proverbial frog?

Just wondering.

OP’s posts: |
Kanaloa Wed 23-Sep-20 15:04:17

I had a quick look on google, and it said scallops die quickly after harvesting. Not sure how accurate that is or if it applies only to frozen ones.

KitKatastrophe Wed 23-Sep-20 16:14:52

I imagine they would die shortly after being removed from the ocean as they wouldnt have any food.

KitKatastrophe Wed 23-Sep-20 16:15:47

Also please dont boil a scallop unless you want to chew a bit of fishy rubber for dinner!

Jux Thu 24-Sep-20 01:06:47

Oh no, I would never boil a scallop if I actually wanted to eat it!

Trumpton Thu 24-Sep-20 01:31:09

I went to a food festival ( no restrictions here ) and had “ popcorn queenies’ . Tiny scallops dipped in sparkling water and beer batter then deep fried . They were amazing . Never thought that they would like being deep fried !

XDownwiththissortofthingX Thu 24-Sep-20 01:34:14

Scallop ctenidium do not function out of water iirc, so the animal would die pretty quickly once it's removed from the sea. I'd presume that they're either caught and shucked pretty swiftly afterwards if the meat is to be frozen or sold fresh, or the animal must be stored in water all the way to the retailer who then does the shucking.

Crinklyoldhag Thu 24-Sep-20 01:36:09

@trumpton I’m sure they hate being deep friend but it’s a bit late by the time they hit the oil 😂

Degustibusnonestdisputandem1 Thu 24-Sep-20 02:11:29

I've dived for scallops here in Victoria some years back. I'm assuming they died when I shucked them (stopped holding tightly shut)

Trumpton Thu 24-Sep-20 09:27:10

@Crinklyoldhag
Ha grin I see what you mean !
I thought they might turn into nasty bits of rubber !

Jux Thu 24-Sep-20 23:19:04

Trumpton sounds very delish

Chocolateteabag Fri 25-Sep-20 00:48:36

They die when you shuck them (cut them out of the shell) if they are fresh and have been kept cold
Or they die after being out of the water after X hours

If they are not alive when you are about to shuck them, you don't eat them - bit like mussels

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in