Talk

Advanced search

Beeping Stairlift

(8 Posts)
PracticalTacticalBrilliance Wed 23-Sep-20 09:06:43

My next door neighbour has had a stairlift installed yesterday.
Since then, whenever it gets used it beeps really loudly - all the way up or down the stairs and then beeps even faster once it's reached its destination before eventually stopping.

Having never been around a stairlift before, I'm not sure whether this is just a noise they make and is something we'll have to get used to, or whether it's something I should mention to her daughter when I next run into her?

I don't want to come across as an awful neighbour, but it's a very loud beep and it's a very thin walled terrace.

Thanks for any info on this if anyone has any experience with stairlifts!

OP’s posts: |
PracticalTacticalBrilliance Thu 24-Sep-20 10:17:51

Hopeful bump

pussycatinboots Thu 24-Sep-20 10:29:32

My dad had a stannah, it only beeped intermittently if the power was turned off to warn you to turn it back on (it will run of a battery during a power cut)
Sounds like some kind of "vehicle reversing" warning device. If you get on with them could you ask the daughter to read the instructions to see if it can be turned off?

PracticalTacticalBrilliance Thu 24-Sep-20 10:56:21

Thank you! Yes that's exactly the noise. It is only newly installed so perhaps they haven't quite got the hang of it yet.

My neighbour and her daughter are both lovely and we do get on, so I can speak to them now I know it's maybe not supposed to beep all the time.

allthelittleangelsriseupriseup Thu 24-Sep-20 11:44:21

Normally, stair lifts only bleep if the battery is low. If this is a new stair lift, what often happens is that the user is not waiting for the lift to fully dock at the top and the bottom of the stairs - they are getting off too soon. This is important because the battery is not charging, and will go flat. This could leave them stranded half way up (or down). The daughter needs to check that the lift is correctly docking, if not they need to get Stannah out pronto.

PracticalTacticalBrilliance Thu 24-Sep-20 12:03:24

That's really helpful to know, thank you.

stairliftforum Wed 30-Sep-20 11:42:16

As @pussycatinboots says it sounds like a battery problem. Stairlifts have two charging points (one at the top and one at the bottom of the track) if the chair hasn't hit those charge points then it won't charge

Source: www.stairlift-forum.co.uk/stairlift-problems-that-you-should-know/

PracticalTacticalBrilliance Wed 30-Sep-20 12:20:15

Thank you!

I've actually not had to say anything as it's not beeping anymore, they must have figured it out, which is good news.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in