Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for a new hobby

(8 Posts)
Bells3032 Wed 16-Sep-20 12:04:20

So have a lot going on in my life - moving home, trying to sell my flat, about to start on the IVF Journey. It's going to involve a lot of waiting around and being patient - not things i am good at.

With covid can't go out much so looking for a new hobby I can do at home to distract me. I am not good at sports or particularly good art wise though I do like to keep my hands busy.

We are currently in a flat and don't have a lot of space.

Any ideas or advice?

OP’s posts: |
MagpiePi Wed 16-Sep-20 12:11:04

Knitting?

I tend to do lots of small projects as I get bored of something like a jumper.
I have a book of patterns for mini toys and things like Xmas tree decorations which can be completed in an evening or two. You only need to be able to do basic stitches.
At the moment I am knitting lots of small squares with different interesting stitches, so lacework, cables etc. with the plan of making a cushion cover or something.
Socks are another thing which are a bit more interesting.
There are loads of vieos and tutorials on Youtube, and lots of free patterns.

MagpiePi Wed 16-Sep-20 12:12:16

...and its the sort of hobby you can do while you are sitting in front of the tv or listineing to the radio or podcasts or whatever.

carnations23 Wed 16-Sep-20 12:16:46

crochet or knitting, I bounce between both and much prefer crochet

Seeline Wed 16-Sep-20 12:17:04

I started cross stitching at the beginning of lock down and really enjoy it. You do have to concentrate on it though.

I agree, knitting is great. Once you get the hang of it you can do it whilst chatting or watching TV etc which I find much harder with cross stitch.

Adult colouring is relaxing - you don't have to be good at art as someone else has drawn the pictures for you! (By adult, I mean intricate pictures rather than kids cartoons - not X rated pictures!!)

Rainbowqueeen Wed 16-Sep-20 12:18:18

Yoga - lots of options on ytube. Many people like yoga with Adrienne
Cross stitch
Writing eg fan fiction, poetry, biography of someone you admire
Cooking Learn to make bread
Listen to podcasts. There’s a recent thread with lots of recommendations
Online study. Have you heard of MOOCs? They are free online courses run by universities. I recently did one on dementia.

Rainbowqueeen Wed 16-Sep-20 12:18:52

Ps jigsaw puzzles.

bootygirl Wed 16-Sep-20 20:08:30

hand lettering, doodles & reading could join free on line bookclub. family tree or geneology... crochhet. pen pals

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in