Talk

Advanced search

RENTING

(6 Posts)
DAVYBOY46 Tue 15-Sep-20 11:15:21

Please can anyone explain me why so many people leave rented property in such a mess when they move ??????

OP’s posts: |
lughnasadh Tue 15-Sep-20 11:16:20

Same reason some people leave the house they've sold in state.

UnfinishedSymphon Tue 15-Sep-20 11:41:10

Yeah it's not just rented, the state of this house when we bought it was disgraceful, there was dog poo all over the ground floor carpets. Vom. If people don't care about their own property, they aren't going to care about someone else's sadly

tectonicplates Tue 15-Sep-20 11:44:12

The only people I've known who've deliberately left a rented property in a mess are people who've been treated badly by landlords, so they don't feel they owe them anything. Funnily enough, I've always left places in a much better state when the landlord treated us accordingly.

tectonicplates Tue 15-Sep-20 11:51:04

Also: Many lettings agents will insist that you get the place "professionally cleaned" when you move out. I've known and heard about endless people who've scrubbed the place from top to bottom when they've moved out, often leaving it in a much better condition than when they moved in, only to be told that it still wasn't good enough because they didn't pay someone to do it, so ended up having part of their deposit withheld. Given my experience that no amount of personally-done cleaning will ever be good enough for some people, I'd rather leave it altogether as I am no longer prepared to spend hours scrubbing a place clean only to be told it isn't good enough. You can blame greedy landlords and agents for that.

Whatisthisfuckery Tue 15-Sep-20 12:05:22

Some people are just slobs and will make a mess regardless of where they live. My XH owns his own house and it’s disgusting.

Some people don’t care because they don’t own it.

Some people are treated like shit by their LLs, not keeping the place well maintained, harassment etc so think fuck it. I’ve known people who would be able to take their LLs to court for much more than their deposit is worth.

I’m not excusing anybody leaving a mess after them BTW. It’s a matter of pride that I leave a place in good condition, often better than how I found it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in