Advanced search

Clares Law

(8 Posts)
Harderlife Fri 11-Sep-20 15:20:55

Quite a long backstory (sporadic DV, alcoholism from my husband, emotional abuse) with support I am planning to leave however have been contacted by the police regarding meeting for a disclosure. I spoke to my GP for support and she referred to social care as per safeguarding, she seemed to think social care would take this for information only and unlikely to action it. I work in a related field and deal with social care closely (although not child protection) and was surprised too when social care offered help- I’m in no way minimising however the thresholds for intervention are high. Wondering now if the social worker was privy to their information? Does anyone know if this is the case?
I’m worried on what this will be- I assume if it was very serious they’d tell me Immediately as my 2 young children live here?
Feeling very overwhelmed and would appreciate any experiences

OP’s posts: |
Harderlife Fri 11-Sep-20 15:21:45

Just adding I spoke to my GP prior to being contacted by the police

OP’s posts: |
Harderlife Fri 11-Sep-20 17:48:15

Bumping smile

OP’s posts: |
OntheWaves40 Fri 11-Sep-20 17:50:56

Are the police not contacting for you to make a disclosure rather than one they already have?

Harderlife Fri 11-Sep-20 18:01:55

No, they’ve said they have information to Give to me Under the disclosure scheme

OP’s posts: |
OntheWaves40 Fri 11-Sep-20 18:16:42

Can you get away quicker?

MotherofTerriers Sat 12-Sep-20 12:33:09

I'd be worried that the information might be that he had attacked a previous partner, the most dangerous time will be when he knows you are leaving. Can you see the police quickly? Can you make an exit plan and get support in place before you tell him?

Jellycatspyjamas Sat 12-Sep-20 13:07:32

I’d expect that social care will be privy to information held by police regarding domestic abuse, particularly if there are now children living in the house with the perpetrator. Both the police and GP would have a duty to share that information.

So, for example you might have disclosed to your GP something that us worrying but manageable however when this is combined with information from the police or indeed social works own records, it may tip the level of risk to where they would want to support you. Especially if you’re planning on leaving, social work can help you access a range of services you might not otherwise have.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in