Talk

Advanced search

The era you grew up in and the weird stuff that went on

(14 Posts)
Lollyneenah Thu 03-Sep-20 11:35:12

I grew up in the 80s and so many things seemed normal then but horrifying now 😂

Examples -
Our dad drove a Volvo estate and we often fought over who got to sit in the boot and travel backwards on days out. My sister and I regularly gave the finger to other road users and fell about laughing 😬

My dad told us that the Scottish stole people shoelaces, whenever we went over the border we all had to hold onto our shoelaces until dad declared it safe.

Going on wild adventures aged about 6 with other little children, mainly involved poking sticks in cow pats and investigating abandoned houses by climbing through smashed kitchen windows.
I cant remember my mum or dad ever asking what I'd been up to all day.

Everyone knew that the chap across the road from us was a paedophile confused the grown ups just said not to go in his house and we would be fine!

My mum constantly brought home pets and my dad brought home vehicles.
At one point we had 3 budgies, 3 cats, 2 dogs, 4 hamsters, a tour bus and a full sized steam engine.

Everyones mum covered themselves in oil and sunbathed at the tiniest hint of sunshine.

My best friend and I split open our palms and smushed them together aged 8 so we would be 'blood related'

When my cool auntie visited she gave sweets to younger children and cigarettes to the older ones shock

Any one else?

OP’s posts: |
pinkpetal2 Thu 03-Sep-20 11:42:08

Can relate to this grew up in the 90s well early 2000s

•We would spend all day in an old forest burning stuff and making dens.

•There was a nonce across the road with one leg and every one knew you didn't go near his house but some times we'd throw stones at his door and run.

•We spent most days in the pub with a lucky bag and chicken box thing.

• Spent all weekends out and played out every day after school didn't come home till it was getting dark.

•We would row over who's going in the boot and who's laying on the floor shock

•Never used baby chairs or car seats just held them on your lap and squeezed in.

PaperMonster Thu 03-Sep-20 11:45:50

Loved travelling in the boot of a Volvo estate!!

lastqueenofscotland Thu 03-Sep-20 12:16:51

I grew up in the 90s... many fond memories of travelling in a boot!

mylittleyumyum Thu 03-Sep-20 12:29:44

Yes to the burning things and den making, also catching newts/frogs, making dams (one memorable dam was built out of Tennents cans with the glamorous ladies on them!)

Finding pages from scud mags in the woods. Climbing over barbed wire fences, annoying livestock.

Chapping people's doors (especially the local 'witch') and trying to get chased from them for fun.

I was a little shite to be fair, but I'm a sensible and mature adult now (I think) and I'd give my pair absolute hell if they did half the things I did.

cosmo30 Thu 03-Sep-20 12:33:29

Grew up in the 90's/early 2000's

- playing out all day on the weekends and after school making dens, playing on the haybales etc

- Kirby and Aki 123

- early 2000 having a Jane Norman bag instead of a proper school bag!

- I also remember my mom whacking on the baby oil in the garden ALOT

cosmo30 Thu 03-Sep-20 12:33:59

Almost forgot - knock door run !

YesItsMeIDontCare Thu 03-Sep-20 12:39:49

Everyones mum covered themselves in oil and sunbathed at the tiniest hint of sunshine.

Oh god I remember this 😱. Piz Bui I think.

I grew up in 70s/80s too. Did you play Acky 123?

Lollyneenah Thu 03-Sep-20 12:44:36

Oh god acky123 and lucky bags!!! Lucky bags were the absolute shit grin

MouseholeCat Thu 03-Sep-20 12:53:32

90s and early 00s.

Buying cigarettes on my 16th birthday! And smoking in clubs.

Spray on fake tan. We must have looked awful.

Social media emerging- Bebo and MSN messenger in particular. Parents didn't really understand. We used to get older men adding us on MSN messenger all the time wanting to chat- we'd call them pedos and block them but we NEVER thought to tell our parents. Utterly terrifying!

user1471538283 Thu 03-Sep-20 13:52:13

I was expected from a very young age to get myself to school and back despite my DM not working. Whereas with DS I drove him until he was 16! I used to often get home and no-one would be there (DM was supposed to be what with the not working thing) but I always met DS after work (he went to the library to do homework) and we would go home together.

Deathraystare Thu 03-Sep-20 14:10:48

Can't remember anything like the above except I do remember us all fitting in my Uncle's car and it was a little Messershmidt (spelling?) and us kids sat on laps (I always got car sick-lovely!).

Also we all decided that 'black gate' was safer than Green gate' because paedos hung around the Green gate at school but not funnily enough the black gate entrance. The paedos were easily detected as they dressed like women!! Logic had no place in our thoughts that then grown ups could easily identify them and as I came out of black gate, I never saw any anyway!

Lollyneenah Thu 03-Sep-20 14:31:18

Yes to getting home safely alone too.
I used to walk a mile home from work after my restaurant job at age 16, around 12.30am and usually a bit pissed too because of the owner giving us shots of tequila once we had locked up for the night.

Absolutely amazed I'm alive

Damnloginpopup Thu 03-Sep-20 14:44:03

80s...a vivid memory is of my mum taking four of us to the pool 8 miles away. In her Triumph Spitfire. Her and one in the front, roof down with three of us sitting on the boot panel with our legs inside behind the seats and holding on grin then leaving us unattended all day. Nobody died, nobody went into care, nobody batted an eyelid. That's Norfolk for you.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in