Talk

Advanced search

How to eat less chocolate

(25 Posts)
Odile13 Mon 31-Aug-20 20:44:31

I’m a real chocoholic. In the last few months I find myself mindlessly eating much more than I’d like. I keep making resolutions to eat a smaller amount every day but don’t stick to it. I’m happy with the rest of my diet, it’s varied and healthy enough, but chocolate seems to be something I can’t limit.

Has anybody else given it up entirely? Or just cut down? How much do you allow yourself to have?

Any ideas appreciated!

OP’s posts: |
boredboredboredboredbored Mon 31-Aug-20 20:49:51

Don't buy it!

Rigamorph Mon 31-Aug-20 20:52:36

Switch to a good quality really dark chocolate. Only buy one bar to last the week.
Try to limit to one square daily.
I find the really dark stuff satisfies my cravings after really tiny amounts.

FatCatThinCat Mon 31-Aug-20 20:54:26

I was the same. I haven't touched chocolate since I sorted out my sleeping disorder. No desire for it at all now.

Are you sleeping ok? Tired?

peajotter Mon 31-Aug-20 21:00:51

Very dark chocolate, as Rigamorph suggests. You don’t need to eat so much, and there’s barely any sugar in it so it’s better for you.

I went through a phase of only eating the Lindt 99% , but you’d probably need to work up to that slowly!!

Odile13 Mon 31-Aug-20 21:02:46

bored you’re right, I should just stop buying it! Hard habit to break though. Chocolate has been my favourite since childhood.

Rigamorph good idea. I do like dark chocolate. The Lindt bars are delicious and it is more satisfying.

FatCatThinCat That’s interesting. My sleep is fine so don’t think it’s that for me.

PurpleDaisies Mon 31-Aug-20 21:05:00

I’d have to not have it in the house. Having a couple of squares off a bar would never work for me. Chocolate doesn’t do much for me but I have a problem with crisps. I only have them when I’m in coffee shops or if dh buys me one packet as a rare treat.

AgeLikeWine Mon 31-Aug-20 21:07:08

Don’t buy it. Don’t have it in the house.

It really is the only way.

Bread is my weakness. If it’s in the house, I will eat it so when I’m trying to lose weight I just don’t buy it.

H1978 Mon 31-Aug-20 21:17:26

No idea, I’m in the same boat grin

Odile13 Mon 31-Aug-20 21:44:48

Thanks for the input. I’ll try having a limited amount of dark choc. If I can’t keep to that I’ll stop buying it completely for a while. I need to make a change.

PickAChew Mon 31-Aug-20 21:47:00

Developing chocolate triggered migraines did the trick for me.

nocoolnamesleft Mon 31-Aug-20 21:51:52

I switched to much more expensive higher quality chocolate. It worked for quite a while as a way to cut intake. Now? Now I work to maintain my expensive chocolate habit.

UkuleleRose Mon 31-Aug-20 21:54:39

Can't be done, I'm afraid. [looking at the mini-candy bars directly to the right]

RandomMess Mon 31-Aug-20 21:54:47

@nocoolnamesleft sounds like me 😂

smogsville Mon 31-Aug-20 21:57:52

@Odile13 how much is too much just out of interest? I have days when I expect my consumption might raise a few eyebrows!

Odile13 Tue 01-Sep-20 06:41:32

@smogsville good question! For me too much is multiple servings in one day, which then becomes a habit. Eg I’m happy to have a row of squares or a cake bar with lunch, but if I find myself having two or three more servings later on, and then do it again the next day etc, that’s too much.

MadauntofA Tue 01-Sep-20 06:46:57

Aldi sells some lovely dark chocolate in paper packaged small slabs. I tend to find I will just take one and be done rather than keep picking when I have a large bar open

Margo34 Tue 01-Sep-20 06:55:11

We have it once a week - something to look forward to! And we have dark chocolate to savour the chocolateyness.
I love Chocolate Sundays!

If it's not Sunday, we're not allowed it. Even on a digestive biscuit.

nosswith Tue 01-Sep-20 07:02:58

I think none in the house and resolving not to buy it is probably the best option.

Valkadin Tue 01-Sep-20 09:34:12

Try and understand why you are addicted to it, sounds like comfort eating. My older siblings have food addictions, three of the four now have type 2 diabetes and it shortened my brothers life as he had complications arise from diabetes. I know that’s not really in keeping with the ooh we are a bit naughty jolly tone of many replies. But chocolate every day for my sisters and brother for decades has made them ill.

PurpleDaisies Tue 01-Sep-20 09:35:38

But chocolate every day for my sisters and brother for decades has made them ill.

Surely that depends on how much chocolate every day?

Odile13 Tue 01-Sep-20 10:04:15

@MadauntofA Thank you that looks nice. Individually wrapped smaller bars are a good idea.

@Valkadin I do think there’s an element of comfort eating to it. I was a picky eater as a child but always loved chocolate. I reward myself with it automatically when I could do other things to feel better. I think dark chocolate is healthier and I don’t have a problem eating a bit every day. I’m a healthy weight and generally eat in moderation. If I can’t limit it though I will try going without for a while as a kind of ‘reset’.

2beesornot2beesthatisthehoney Tue 01-Sep-20 10:15:41

Suck dark chocolate instead of crunching it . Rewrap squares in foil and only have one portion , I like Lindt 80 % or 90% Because their Squares make a nice portion.

Twaddledee Tue 01-Sep-20 10:18:28

I would switch to drinking cocoa and don’t have any chocolate in the house

smogsville Tue 01-Sep-20 10:23:42

@Odile13 I try to keep it to evenings only. Also it lives in a high up cupboard so you have to get a stool out to reach it which acts as a bit of a barrier. Two days a week we fast so it's the remaining five that are challenging. I also tend to eat too much choc after wine as all resistance just fades away. Good luck!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in