Talk

Advanced search

The Power of Tools

(3 Posts)
iskwobel Mon 31-Aug-20 13:33:57

I'm working from home for the forseeable at the moment. Lots of retired folk in our street but also a good few who work part time or shifts. Over the summer MORE and MORE of the men have become obsessed with strimming, sawing, chopping and mowing and also angle grinding. In fact any kind of power tools. It's all week. Yesterday (Sunday) someone started mixing concrete with a tool thingy at 7.25am. Now I can hear two separate tools. They are seeking out hedges in the surrounding fields that they can cut down and the other morning heard one shout to his friend"I've been given the go ahead to chop it down!!!" Still don't know what it was.
Make it stop! DH is starting to wonder if he is a Proper Man at all, as he's perfectly satisfied with keeping the grass at a reasonable length.
It's demented.... is it just here ?

OP’s posts: |
KatherineofTarragon Mon 31-Aug-20 16:54:57

It is not that they have suddenly started doing this, they always have. You are just at home more now during the day and have become more aware of it. They usually do this shiz when you are out at work.

Also, lots of furloughed people using the lockdown opportunity, to do jobs they have been putting off.

TillyTheTiger Mon 31-Aug-20 20:29:29

It's because of lockdown. When you're forced to stay inside your house for weeks on end you notice all the little or big jobs that need doing, and there's nothing better to do than to make a start.
And, in this household at least, it's not men! I've been the one drilling, sanding and hammering (DH doesn't know one end of a screwdriver from the other). Women can use power tools too smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in