Talk

Advanced search

Were you proud of your parents jobs when you were a kid?

(81 Posts)
BabyLlamaZen Sun 30-Aug-20 18:20:25

Including if one of them was a sahp? And what are your thoughts on them now?

I'm curious to see the answers on this! I was always incredibly proud of what both my parents did (mum in high powered professional role, dad part time teacher and part time sahd). I didn't see one as better than the other, despite the pay and status difference.

I wonder if this is always the case?

OP’s posts: |
BabyLlamaZen Sun 30-Aug-20 18:22:23

And I wonder if a sahm has the same respect?

PLEASE let's not make this a sahm bashing thread.

OP’s posts: |
ilovemydogandmrobama2 Sun 30-Aug-20 18:30:01

Both parents worked full time, but wished my mom was a SAHM sometimes although would have translated into part time.

She said recently that she wished she had chosen a more flexible job, but not sure it was recognised as such in the 80s...

crosser62 Sun 30-Aug-20 18:32:55

My dad was in the military. No pride, just DV & alcoholism.
My mum was a sahp for most of my younger years then working in a factory from me being 11ish.
It was at that point I was the sahp doing all the household chores and caring for 3 ypunger siblings.
Don’t recall pride there either

Yellredder Sun 30-Aug-20 18:35:32

Can't say as i was particularly proud of their jobs - they just had jobs!

ExtremelyBoldSquirrels Sun 30-Aug-20 18:36:03

I didn’t give it any thought really. Until you had to figure out how to say them in French at high school. My mum was easy (she was a teacher) but quantity surveyor wasn’t on the lists we were given.

I don’t think my kids give a stuff what my job is.

Sayitagainwhydontyou Sun 30-Aug-20 18:37:21

I was (and am) incredibly proud of both of my parents - they're doctors. I was pretty much the only one of my friends to not have a SAHM and i remember clearly at about age 7 wondering what on earth my friends' mums did all day! I still wonder that about SAHMs of school-age kids tbh.

Wbeezer Sun 30-Aug-20 18:39:25

My Dad was the local GP, which was almost like being a bit famous in the boring old seventies, wr definitely had a bit of status by association and were expected ti be "clever" hmm. My mother was a SAHP but she was well educated and knew about everything and was good at lots of things so i did not think less of her at the time.

lifesalongsong Sun 30-Aug-20 18:43:08

ExtremelyBoldSquirrels

I didn’t give it any thought really. Until you had to figure out how to say them in French at high school. My mum was easy (she was a teacher) but quantity surveyor wasn’t on the lists we were given.

Same here, it's not something I ever thought about and I'm pretty sure my DC don't have any proud feelings about what I do or how hard I work.

pinkmagic1 Sun 30-Aug-20 18:43:46

My dad was a graphic designer and my mum worked part time as a bank cashier. Didn't give it much thought tbh.

NothingIsWrong Sun 30-Aug-20 18:45:53

My Mum was the chief exec of a housing association, worked her way all the way up from the bottom, and my Dad was a uni lecturer, after he'd done 27 years in the steelworks as an engineer. Very proud of both of them and they definitely taught me that you can have a career and be a parent. As the eldest I picked up a bit of slack at home. I learnt to cook in self defence!

BikeTyson Sun 30-Aug-20 18:46:45

SAHM plus doctor dad. I was completely indifferent to both tbh, I’m not sure most children give a shit. I’m always a bit skeptical about the people on X factor etc who “just want to make my children proud of me”; I’m sure they’d be just as proud if they were doing a normal job.

PineappleUpsideDownCake Sun 30-Aug-20 18:46:50

Loved that my mum was a sahp. Didnt really know what my dad did other than the building he worked in 🤣.

Kids love having me home and the bits of part time work I do. They are relieved they dont have to do childcare after school. They seem to think we're both clever but that may change in a year or two when they hit teens.

Yankathebear Sun 30-Aug-20 18:47:12

I was proud of both. My mum was a sahm for parts of my childhood. I thought she was strong. We don’t get on now but I still think she was strong.

HelloMissus Sun 30-Aug-20 18:47:19

I know my kids are extremely proud of my job - but it’s a fancy sounding job in telly so......

MsTSwift Sun 30-Aug-20 18:47:25

Dad was a senior teacher at my own school which was frankly utterly mortifying. Mum teacher too.

Loved my parents they are great but as a self absorbed teen their jobs were of little interest to me tbh. I haven’t become a teacher

BertieBotts Sun 30-Aug-20 18:48:26

No not really. My mum didn't have a job for most of my childhood (although I did proudly tell people she used to work at insert local tourist attraction, which I thought was cool!) and I never really had a clue what my dad did.

Arrowcat Sun 30-Aug-20 18:49:41

Both my parents were teachers. I never really thought much of it however they both died young and now I look back and see they committed their lives to try to improve young inner city kids lives and I'm very proud of them.
My daughter is 3 and proud of me and her father - although what I do is more easily recognisable for a 3 year old to be proud of.

Aunty5ocial Sun 30-Aug-20 18:50:05

DM was a mobile hairdresser. She worked hard and I wished she'd been less stressed and at home more. DF was a builder. As I got older I was a bit embarressed when he would collect me from ballet classes in his work clothes and van.

lazylinguist Sun 30-Aug-20 18:52:48

It wouldn't have remotely occurred to me to be proud of my parents' jobs tbh. My mum was a secretary for an estate agent and my dad was a manager in a big I.T. company. My mum had some fairly amusing stories about customers and colleagues but neither job appealed to me or seemed interesting or impressive.

Dh and I are both teachers (dh at our dc's school, and I've taught both my dc in the past). They aren't mortified by that at all, but both think teaching is a job they'd never want to do!

baumwolle Sun 30-Aug-20 18:53:01

I certainly wasn't embarrassed of either, or anything like that, but I don't think I would say I was proud - their jobs were just accepted facts of life!

Adwodeabo Sun 30-Aug-20 18:53:17

There were a lot more SAHMs around, especially in working class communities. It was less of a stigma back then. My dad was out of work which was so common in ex industrial communities that it carried no stigma. It only became a stigma when I reached university age and began to mix with people who didn’t come from that background.

latticechaos Sun 30-Aug-20 18:53:35

ExtremelyBoldSquirrels

Haha yes, same about translating.

My kids also don't care about my job, I am sure.

ilovemydogandmrobama2 Sun 30-Aug-20 18:56:15

Aunty - One of DD's friends at ballet picks her up from ballet, and she is embarrassed. DD said it's really cool to have a builder as a dad, as she wished her dad was a builder as there is so much work needing to be done shock

moveandmove Sun 30-Aug-20 18:57:25

I'm not sure kids think like that. I knew what my parents jobs were but would never think to be proud or not of them.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in