Talk

Advanced search

Storm Ellen

(26 Posts)
Frownette Fri 21-Aug-20 02:06:16

Have had a horrible evening anyway. But can't get any rest wind is whiplashing around and keeping me awake?

Friend tried to soundproof my door earlier and that didn't work

OP’s posts: |
BackwardsGoing Fri 21-Aug-20 02:08:06

I'm in a campervan on a cliff top in West Cornwall if that makes you feel any better grin

Frownette Fri 21-Aug-20 02:13:22

BackwardsGoing

I'm in a campervan on a cliff top in West Cornwall if that makes you feel any better grin

God almighty you must be shaking around like a salt and pepper pot

BackwardsGoing Fri 21-Aug-20 02:17:51

It's a bit ratttly! Lots of tent-dwellers packed up earlier and went home. Many were wiped out the night before. The local beach was red flagged but it's still quite warm and not too much rain so we've survived worse.

Frownette Fri 21-Aug-20 02:58:26

I give up now, I'm going to turn off the lights and deal with the banging against the window.

LumiPear Fri 21-Aug-20 03:00:58

It's a bit windy where I am too, although relatively sheltered I do have an extremely large three storey high tree right outside my house almost within reaching distance which I am a bit concerned about... <hyperventilating >

Frownette Fri 21-Aug-20 03:19:12

I'm sure it will be ok Lumi smile

Though the noise is bad

Frownette Fri 21-Aug-20 03:28:51

I do seriously give up now. I'm going for a walk. If I try to sleep all I can hear is banging against the window.

CakeInMyFace Fri 21-Aug-20 03:38:15

I'm awake too, staying in a small cottage near the sea in Devon and windows are banging and loads of crazy noises! Of course kids and DH sleeping through it but I'm freaked out!

DonLewis Fri 21-Aug-20 03:44:42

Awake here too, listening to the wind, the rain that's not long started and the over flow from the gutters that have obviously filled up again.

Sausagis Fri 21-Aug-20 03:53:19

I'm in a tent. It's not fun. Have given up sleep in favor of staring obsessively at the noisiest pole straining against the canvas.

elastamum Fri 21-Aug-20 04:18:13

Awake now. Am in an old house in the Midlands. Was asleep with the window open and the wind has just blown my bedroom door open!

HollyBollyBooBoo Fri 21-Aug-20 04:20:18

In a caravan in the Peak District, the worst is yet to come!

Frownette Fri 21-Aug-20 04:34:32

It's a bit better here now, hope for all of you as well.

Mild background rather than blow the doorframes

Frownette Fri 21-Aug-20 04:35:26

Sausagis

I'm in a tent. It's not fun. Have given up sleep in favor of staring obsessively at the noisiest pole straining against the canvas.

You're brave grin

Sausagis Fri 21-Aug-20 04:42:09

"You're brave"

Nope. Starting to think I'm stupid!

morosetinkler Fri 21-Aug-20 04:47:27

We are in a tent surrounded by trees, you'll be fine in a house. My children are sleeping right through it confused

Frownette Fri 21-Aug-20 04:47:40

Sausagis

"You're brave"

Nope. Starting to think I'm stupid!

Errr...(tries to think positive)...it's only a few hours then you can go for a freezing ahem!! I mean refreshing hose down? In the (warning) dawning light? Good for the circulation?

I'm sure a few wind shakes or cold tremors abode a lovely day smile

morosetinkler Fri 21-Aug-20 04:49:03

It should blow those clouds away. We were rewarded with A stunning Milky Way view. I've been up and down all night checking our friends small tent next to ours

Doyouknowwhat Fri 21-Aug-20 05:07:09

As well as the wind I have two.foxes fighting outside my house.
It's so noisy I'll never get back to sleep
I have to get up in an hour anyway, so hardly worth trying

TheHallouminati Fri 21-Aug-20 05:41:55

Another one camping in Devon here 🙋‍♀️ kids are sleeping oblivious in a sturdy canvas bell tent, we were in a regular polyester one. DH and I decamped to the car at 3am. I haven't slept at all and he's snoring! The car is shaking a fair bit...

PhilCornwall1 Fri 21-Aug-20 06:03:41

BackwardsGoing

It's a bit draughty down here isn't it. grin

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Fri 21-Aug-20 07:17:00

I got up twice in the night after loud clattering, the mop bucket first that is in the side passage got blown away followed by the bin bag container, wind was really scary 😲

Blobby10 Fri 21-Aug-20 08:10:30

Having spent many camping holidays wide awake during the night, praying that the tent/trailer tent/folding camper would hold out against the gale blowing outside, those of you camping have my sympathy!! (although not a small element of envy as I won't get a holiday this year sad).

I normally cycle to work on a Friday but am very glad I didn't today as its really ramping up now (East Midlands) .

Frownette Fri 21-Aug-20 08:45:35

Yeah, just discovered the lofthole was askew if that makes sense! Got someone to put it back in place and he said 'it's a bit heavy to do this'

I'd miles rather it was a storm than a person creeping around

Good luck to campers everywhere <salutes>

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in