Talk

Advanced search

Knitters - lifelines and brioche

(9 Posts)
SinkGirl Thu 20-Aug-20 14:03:20

I’ve been knitting for about 8 years and I’ve never bothered with lifelines before even when I was learning lace knitting, but two colour brioche has defeated me, I’ve never had to rip out a piece of knitting so many times.

I have some Knitpro and Addi interchangeables with holes for a lifeline but they are bloody tiny - for those who use them, how?! I tried some 4ply but couldn’t thread that through either.

Also, it looks so uneven to me - will blocking help?

OP’s posts: |
Jonsnowsghost Thu 20-Aug-20 14:15:38

What type of yarn is it? If it's wool it will block well but acrylic doesn't block so well.

I haven't used those needles but I did put a lifeline in something I knitted recently, i used a needle to thread some spare yarn through though!

It looks lovely smile i haven't dared try brioche yet.

SinkGirl Thu 20-Aug-20 14:22:06

It’s wool and alpaca so should block well, must say I don’t usually bother 😬 I know stuff looks so much better blocked but I’ve never been very good at it. Need some wires I think

SinkGirl Thu 20-Aug-20 14:24:22

Brioche itself is easy - the problem is that if you drop a stitch it’s really hard to figure out what’s going on so without lifelines I was having to rip out the whole section!

SinkGirl Sat 22-Aug-20 22:25:33

Finished - there’s a whole row that’s wrong and throws the pattern off and I really wanted to go back but had bailed on lifelines by then and couldn’t face frogging so much work. Working on another brioche pattern now 😬

73kittycat73 Sat 22-Aug-20 22:55:03

Wow, I'd just like to say thank you. I've been knitting on and off for years and about to start knitting a blanket as a Christmas present. I was worried that I might mess up a row. I'd never heard of 'lifelines' in knitting before so Googled it. Sounds perfect! Thank you for that nugget of information! grin Good luck with your knitting!

SinkGirl Sun 23-Aug-20 08:51:42

No problem - I just bought a new set of Addi Click interchangeable needles and you can buy cables for that that have a little slit in them for adding a lifeline. I’ve now started something way more difficult so I’m definitely going to make use of them!

Aknifewith16blades Sun 23-Aug-20 09:11:27

You could try using thread (or fine crochet yarn) rather than yarn in your life line?

SinkGirl Sun 23-Aug-20 13:35:45

I tried that but then found it more difficult to pick up the stitches. Will try my new Addi cables when I get to the tricky part of this one! To be honest as it went on I got better at fixing mistakes or dropped stitches (sods law, I never drop stitches when it’s an easy pattern!). Still have no idea what I did wrong on that row. Should have tried some easier brioche first 😂

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in