Talk

Advanced search

I just feel like a shit mum today!

(11 Posts)
RowboatsinDisguise Wed 19-Aug-20 12:28:13

I feel like I can’t do anything right today. DS (23mo) is just whiny and screamy for no apparent reason. He was being a total PITA at home so I took him out for a run around in the woods (and the rain). He was fine for about half an hour before he started screaming and whining again and refused to walk. I’m pregnant and my hips are really sore today and carrying him just wasn’t an option. He’s wet himself twice despite telling me he didn’t need the potty and refusing to try (until the last few days he’s been mostly dry for a few months and now he’s refusing the potty and pissing at will). I just don’t have the energy to be cheerful mummy. I feel like I’m a completely ineffective parent and his behaviour is deteriorating because I’m so shit. I sobbed all the way home in the car. He’s now watching Go Jetters because it’s keeping him quiet but it’s probably doing nothing for his behaviour to be glued to the iPad. I work three days per week and honestly feel like he’d be better off if I wasn’t at home in the week and worked full time. I’m dreading maternity leave. Why on Earth are we doing this again?

OP’s posts: |
BluFox Wed 19-Aug-20 12:33:42

You don’t sound like a shit mum at all - if you were you wouldn’t care, you’d be shouting at him to shut up with a fag in hand.
Could he be coming down with something? My DS was like that before he go chicken pox, maybe give him some calpol just in case. Stick the TV/tablet on, picky snack food out for him and have a rest together.

relievedlady Wed 19-Aug-20 12:36:33

Well I feel like a shit mum this week full stop.
Working all week as covering for someone so dc tween and teen left with go who literally do nothing with them.

Got home yesterday to mil saying how long you gets spends on computer.
I breezily asked did she not try and call her down to play or do puzzles or cards or art or anything with her at all hmm

They've only got them for 5 hours once or twice a week at most but still do absolutely nothing with them confused

My dparenta are the same.
Always say they have some plans but nothing ever comes out of it hmm

Considering these are the grandparents that spent lockdown whining they couldn't see the dc you wouldn't think so.

I've asked teen to do some things with tween and I'm shutting up early to get home as it's not her responsibility to entertain her sibling.

Aaaaaarrrrrrr

RowboatsinDisguise Wed 19-Aug-20 12:39:57

@BluFox he’s been quite dribbly for a couple of weeks so I do wonder if it’s teething related. He just seems absolutely manic but any thy img can cause him to snap and he totally loses it. He completely stopped talking earlier (he’s usually really good verbally and can tell me what’s wrong) but all he would do is whinge.

BluFox Wed 19-Aug-20 13:13:22

Sounds exactly like chicken pox was for my DS. Really temperamental but not poorly for about 2 days, then the spots appeared and he was happier then.
You’ve got out of the house for a walk so I don’t think it’s too bad to have an afternoon of screens. I hope he’s a bit better soon but remember to look after yourself too

RowboatsinDisguise Wed 19-Aug-20 13:34:01

Oh fuck me he’s pissed himself again and pooed in his chair. What the fuck is wrong with him?!

RowboatsinDisguise Wed 19-Aug-20 13:34:58

Angry and sweaty here to try not to be a complete arsehole to toddler.

DonLewis Wed 19-Aug-20 13:38:12

Ah, op. An almost 2 year olds will knows no bounds! Add in shit weather, a knackered mother, and some teething and you're in the middle of a perfect storm. Have a middle of the day bath with him. Get under a blankets and watch something together. Had he discovered anything like Thomas the tank engine? Feature Disney films might still be a bit long for him, but the Thomas movies are shorter!

My ds loved cars (the movie) at that age... Worth a try?

Just give up on anything useful and try and enjoy the day with him, it might be just the ticket to turn around a crappy day. flowers

OhToBeASeahorse Wed 19-Aug-20 14:08:34

Oh god I'm there with you today! Mine is 2 next month and I'm 32 weeks pregnant. We have builders downstairs, my husband on an important work call.upstairs, and its pissing down with rain.

Mine has easier days and tough days. On the tough days I cant do anything without it causing an almighty meltdown - getting dressed, nappy changes (he is still pooing 3-4 times a day, I can't see how I would potty train at the moment, much as I'd love to), if.he.wants to go for a walk it has to be right then, no patience.

It's not us, its them (I hope).

Littleyellowbowl Wed 19-Aug-20 15:03:50

Could he be coming down with something? Maybe put a pad in his pants as a short term measure? And give some Calpol, see if that helps?

RowboatsinDisguise Wed 19-Aug-20 16:32:28

DH came home from work (a bit early because I was clearly not coping) and eventually got him to nap at about 3! He’s still asleep but we’ve agreed to just let him sleep it off and he can Go to bed later this evening if needs be. I’d rather he was rested than cranky all afternoon for the sake of getting him into bed at 7.30.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in