Talk

Advanced search

Nieces party/family issues

(4 Posts)
Sarah24680 Sun 16-Aug-20 12:25:18

I really don't want to go to my niece's birthday party. She will be 3, there will be looking s of people I don't know and some that i do that I don't get on with, even eg her dad. I made myself go the last two times. Last year my sister seemed in a bad mood with me and the paternal grandfather was moaning about no one else making effort. I don't even think my niece will realise if I'm there or not but my family overreact about a lot of things and I don't want a big row or to be made to look unkind. I have got her a big present already and am happy to take her out or visit separately. I offered to babysit years ago and have never been taken up on this which I find awkward as it is. I thought about saying I've got a migraine but perhaps I should be honest. I feel like if they made it eg fancy dress and I could be more involved then I'd enjoy it but it won't be like that. Helpful advise/ experiences appreciated.

OP’s posts: |
Ishihtzuknot Sun 16-Aug-20 12:40:29

Can you say an appointment has come up that you can’t cancel? Illness? There will be people tell you to be honest but I think in these cases it’s kinder to just make your excuses and pass. There’s no point going and being uncomfortable just to show your face.

OverTheRainbow88 Sun 16-Aug-20 12:50:20

I would go for an hour or so... she’s 3 and is likely to realise you aren’t present.

Sarah24680 Sun 16-Aug-20 13:13:12

Thanks. Yes I'll think of something.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in