Talk

Advanced search

The guy fixing my car just drove away...

(7 Posts)
PackagingDisaster Fri 14-Aug-20 13:15:24

Have an issue with my car - a back window relay needs a new motor. The window will not close so the car is not secure.

My usual reliable, lovely garage is not available due to a backlog of Covid MOTs so I went on to trust a trader website. This guy came highly recommended.

Came this morning. Was slightly dubious as he was taking ages and didn't seem sure what he was doing when we questioned what was wrong. After a while, he figured out how to get the panel off to look at the relay. Yep, it needs replacing. Confirmed he couldn't do it, no charge, will put it back together for me etc. He HAS put it back together but has lost a screw in the process hmm

He was putting the last bits together when I last went out and he said he would recommend a garage for us to get it fixed at.

I have just gone out and he is gone! No telling us he was finished so we could lock the car, no recommendation, just up and left.

So, guess it is Dont-trust-a-trader?? [annoyed] Will be dropping it asap to my usual guys even if it takes far longer to fix!

OP’s posts: |
SageRosemary Fri 14-Aug-20 13:24:10

Well, the good news is that he drove away in his own car, I thought from the title that maybe he had driven away in your car!

pinkyredrose Fri 14-Aug-20 13:26:27

Leave a review on the site!

PackagingDisaster Fri 14-Aug-20 13:28:48

SageRosemary

Well, the good news is that he drove away in his own car, I thought from the title that maybe he had driven away in your car!

haha! True. Luckily I hadn't left the keys out there with him!

PackagingDisaster Fri 14-Aug-20 13:29:34

pinkyredrose

Leave a review on the site!

I want to tbh. But I wonder if they have filters taking out bad reviews as literally all of them are 4.5 and above hmm

PackagingDisaster Fri 14-Aug-20 13:37:08

Actually i just checked and they are all 5's!

ProfessorSlocombe Fri 14-Aug-20 14:45:40

so I went on to trust a trader website.

I didn't have to read on, I'm afraid.

But I wonder if they have filters taking out bad reviews as literally all of them are 4.5 and above

last time I was involved with them (I have not heard anything to suggest they have improved) negative reviews weren't allowed until you had "worked it out" with the trader.

Bottom line is nearly all sites like this (TrustedTrader, Checkatrade certainly) take payment from the traders. So it's the traders they will side with to stay in business.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in