Talk

Advanced search

Stonehaven train derailment

(89 Posts)
namechanged0202 Wed 12-Aug-20 12:04:28

Anyone else watching? We live about 40 miles north . Can’t quite believe it . My parents used to live in the fields directly above Carmont signal station about 35 years ago and remember the weather causing problems for the line even back then . Very, very steep hills on both sides .

Looks very bad from what’s being said online/on rolling news . Fields are just packed with emergency vehicles/choppers . Just horrific .

OP’s posts: |
PerkingFaintly Wed 12-Aug-20 12:21:15

I'm watching and earnestly hoping it looks worse than it is. Seeing smoke is not good, and what you're describing sounds like a bad place for access to the site.

Probably be some time before we know more.

namechanged0202 Wed 12-Aug-20 12:26:10

It is horrendous for access yes, no main roads run anywhere near the train from memory - mum remembers they had a good few miles just to get back to nearest village . Very remote . If it’s definitely at Carmont that is - I think that’s what’s being said.. Hoping that it isn’t as serious as thought . Just can’t believe what we’re hearing .

JacobReesMogadishu Wed 12-Aug-20 12:28:47

Looks awful though thankfully sounds like train was a lot emptier than normal. I guess because of COVID passenger numbers are down.

EdithWeston Wed 12-Aug-20 12:35:28

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-53751678

It's a derailment of some kind, and the First Minister is describing it as an 'extremely serious incident'. That does not bode well, but perhaps first reports will be worse than it actually is?

Hoping not too many passengers and staff injured, and many best wishes to the emergency services who are dealing. Especially if it's as hot a day there as it is here.

PerkingFaintly Wed 12-Aug-20 12:59:44

Sturgeon says "early reports of serious injuries."

Jargo Wed 12-Aug-20 13:04:34

I think it's pretty bad - they have the coastguard there to provide care and the Mountain Rescue Team. It looks like it could be challenging to remove the injured people.

I really hope it is looking worse than it actually is. I used to live near there and it's hard to get to, and hard to to hospitals from as well.

DirtyBlonde Wed 12-Aug-20 13:09:12

Where's the nearest RAF station with helicopters? Or AAC or RN?

They're not kitted out as air ambulances, but might be best way to bring medics in and the injured out

Jargo Wed 12-Aug-20 13:11:09

Lossiemouth and Leuchars are the nearest RAF bases.

Most RAF medics have been dealing with COVID though and are now on mandatory rest (all the ones we know are anyway).

Jargo Wed 12-Aug-20 13:11:49

Very sad to see the children's air ambulance there as well, I hadn't spotted that before.

DirtyBlonde Wed 12-Aug-20 13:15:03

Sorry, not clear! I didn't mean using military medics.

I meant using military helicopters as a different (faster? smoother?) way to move the usual first responders in and the injured out.

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius Wed 12-Aug-20 13:15:31

Apparently the train driver has died.

There are pictures of the train, on Twitter, and it looks awful. Heartbreaking for everyone concerned.

LaurieSchafferIsAllBitterNow Wed 12-Aug-20 13:19:01

I heard one death many casualties, but also saw a tweet sayingthat there were three staff and only a handful of passengers on there, so it's really hard to know

twitter is agog with it, there's an awful pic of the broken train on the lines, so I am not sure that it did roll down an embankment. Also heard it was a bridge collapsing onto the train.

I am getting ansty as one of dh's besties is a train driver.

icedaisy Wed 12-Aug-20 13:19:13

Looks horrendous.

Aberdeen infirmary have declared major incident and Aberdeen still in lock down.

Just awful.

Jargo Wed 12-Aug-20 13:20:52

Twitter says there were 9 people on board according to an incident book, but that may only be staff.

I guess it's a good thing Aberdeen had bee put into lockdown as well.

How freaking awful.

namechanged0202 Wed 12-Aug-20 13:21:02

icedaisy

Looks horrendous.

Aberdeen infirmary have declared major incident and Aberdeen still in lock down.

Just awful.

To make it worse for ARI all their lifts were down this morning and they were evacuating postnatal/ cancelling outpatients as it was ... just one set of horrendous circumstances after another ...

itsgettingweird Wed 12-Aug-20 13:25:50

I've just seen this in the news and searched for a thread.

My heart caught in my mouth when I saw that smoke.

Thoughts with all those involved.

Rhine Wed 12-Aug-20 13:31:20

Two people have died apparently.

Ghislainedefeligonde Wed 12-Aug-20 13:50:45

Pics I’ve seen are awful, absolutely terrifying incident, close to where I live
Weather was unbelievably bad with torrential rain and thunder and lightning from about 5am. Confusing thing is that on my way to work around 8am I heard that all trains from Dundee to Aberdeen had been cancelled due to weather so I don’t understand why there was a train there at all. Unless line cleared and opened and then a subsequent landslide happened.

Lisette1940 Wed 12-Aug-20 13:53:55

Yes terrible rain and thunder/lightening this morning here in Aberdeen. My heart goes out to those on the train and their families.

LaurieSchafferIsAllBitterNow Wed 12-Aug-20 13:54:39

latest on one of the local groups is the train was heading south, encountered a landslide, made to go back and went down an embankment, and caught on fire.

a local bridge has collapsed and that is hindering the rescue operation.

PerkingFaintly Wed 12-Aug-20 13:55:12

Oh no.

My thoughts are with everyone involved.

LoveLastMinutesAndLostEvenings Wed 12-Aug-20 14:52:31

Terrible. Is this the stretch where Network Rail posted the video of the flooding? Why on earth were trains still running?

Ghislainedefeligonde Wed 12-Aug-20 15:00:03

Yes close to that. Given the weather in the north east of Scotland this morning I don’t understand why any trains were running. I’ve just seen another helicopter flying towards the hospital in Aberdeen sad

BashfulClam Wed 12-Aug-20 15:04:14

I guess it’s good that it was out with school travelling times today when they all start back. There are usually a lot of Secondary school kids on my train In the morning.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in