Talk

Advanced search

Anyone thought they had a rubbish interview then got the job?

(16 Posts)
sourcreamnchives Fri 07-Aug-20 17:14:54

Just that really. Had interview yesterday I'm so keen did so much prep. Nothing went horribly wrong or anything but when I came out I dissected all my answers and felt so disappointed with myself. All the things I had prepared for - some questions came up and they were ok but others I feel I could have said so much more than I did. We won't know until Monday they saw 6 candidates for one part time position. Desperate to hear from anyone who thought they had not done great then got a lovely surprise? Feel like I need to just write it off and I was so invested in it.
Thanks for replies smile

OP’s posts: |
Finfintytint Fri 07-Aug-20 17:19:57

I thought I did badly at an interview.
I was asked if there was anything I was not particularly good at. For some bizarre reason I answered “ High Jump, as I’m not very tall” which was a response that had absolutely no bearing on the skills and abilities related to the role.

I thought I was done for but luckily they had a sense of humour and I was accepted for the role.

JadesRollerDisco Fri 07-Aug-20 17:29:00

Every time yes

JadesRollerDisco Fri 07-Aug-20 17:30:22

Same with exams! I always think I've failed but never have. I should know really because I've never gone for a job I doubted I'd get and never say an exam I though I'd fail. I have always cancelled them if I had real doubts

Spidey66 Fri 07-Aug-20 17:30:43

@Finfintytint
See I’d like that as it would appeal to my sense of humour

userabcname Fri 07-Aug-20 17:38:51

Yes! The job I have now. Genuinely thought it had gone the worst of any interview I'd ever had. Got home and cried all over DH. Later that evening got a call and was told I had the job! I was thrilled. Couldn't believe it!

sourcreamnchives Fri 07-Aug-20 17:43:41

@katnissk yay! How fabulous! God I'd die for that to happen to me.

OP’s posts: |
NameChange84 Fri 07-Aug-20 17:48:34

Absolutely. I rarely swear but walked back to my car muttering Fuckitfuckitfuckittofuckittyfuck. Cried all the way home. Got angry at the panel for inviting me as I clearly wasn’t what they were looking for. Decided I didn’t want the stupid job anyway.

The Dean called (it’s a University teaching job) and I just knew it was to say “thanks but no thanks”...I was actually quite abrupt wondering why she was bothering to call because I’d so obviously not got the job.

She offered me the job.

My reply was, “What?”

She offered me the job again.

I said, “Um. Have you got the right person? I’m NameChange84...is it definitely me you intended to contact?”

Thankfully she laughed and said she was certain and she thought I’d interviewed very well.

I’d known my teaching observation was excellent but the interview was HORRENDOUS.

I once again asked “are you sure?”

Thankfully she was patient with me!

I was in absolute shock. I was utterly, utterly convinced it was the worst interview I’d ever done. I couldn’t believe it, at all. Not exaggerating, I genuinely wondered if I’d fallen asleep and had a weird dream. I’d already notified my relatives and referees that I hadn’t got the job.

spence246 Fri 07-Aug-20 17:57:05

yes, I was changing careers . I had a test beforehand which i didn't complete -due to lack of skills and didnt feel i answered the questions adequately so was a real surprise to be offered the job. Spent a happy 6 years there before being made redundant.

trappedsincesundaymorn Fri 07-Aug-20 18:00:45

Me. The interview was a few weeks ago so was held over zoom. My mic didn't work very well and the camera was at a wonky angle. Halfway through I though "well Trapped you've messed this up so you may as well just go with the flow". When I got asked "what have you learned about yourself during lock down?" I replied with "well I've learnt that I can make a damn fine cake and if I get the job I'll bring some in"...I started the new job last week. grin

silentpool Fri 07-Aug-20 18:04:38

I was 45 mins late for the interview due to traffic. So I really thought I'd blown it! But because I didn't lose my cool, they hired me.

Mycatismadeofstringcheese Fri 07-Aug-20 18:08:36

Yes. It became clear in the interview that I didn’t have all the experience they wanted.
I walked out convinced I wouldn’t get it.

However they offered it to me and I was really surprised. It turned out it was the fact I was honest about what I could do and how I would get up to speed on new stuff (rather that bullshit that I could do it) was what they liked.

Presumably if some had have turned up with all the skills I wouldn’t have got it but they didn’t, so I did.

burritofan Fri 07-Aug-20 18:12:38

Yeah, DP. He came home in tears, convinced he'd fucked it up. Unemployed six months too, very little luck, he was in despair. Got the job, been promoted twice since. I would never have guessed he'd get it from how he described it.

MouseholeCat Fri 07-Aug-20 18:36:03

Yes, it was my first job out of uni and I really shouldn't have accepted. The interview experience should have shown me I was not the right fit for the organisation or the role in question. I left after 9 months to do my masters degree and my job after that showed me how bad that role and organisation were for me.

moanyhole Fri 07-Aug-20 18:45:58

Yes for a teaching job in FE. Very stiff competition. Very nice interviewers but I honestly couldnt answer some of the questions. Ended up talking fottball with them as the county Im from is known for football (completely unrelated).
Got in car and told DH forget it, I blew it.
Letter came in post that id gotten the job. I rang the HR dept and asked them if they were sure they had the right person, it took them a few mins to convince me that they had. 17 years later still in the job and still cant believe it!

happytoday73 Fri 07-Aug-20 18:54:37

A former colleague used to laugh about how she got her job. Fastest interview going.. Lots of detailed questions... She left after 20 minutes (yep) thinking no chance and was offered the job before she got home 😁. In that case our boss just knew from her CV she had the ability and on meeting her immediately knew would be a good fit... Therefore no need to waste time...

My last job interview I got the job after being thoroughly pulled over the coals for 2 hours followed by another 3 part interview... Phone interview, panel and presentation... I came out exhausted and rang agency to tell them to line up next job interview.. Next day I got the job!

Good luck!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in