Talk

Advanced search

How on earth do you have sex when you have teenagers!

(115 Posts)
Pitterpatterpotter Tue 04-Aug-20 23:24:53

It’s getting increasingly difficult! They go to bed late, dh gets up early for work and they often like watching films with us and spending time with us in the evenings which is lovely..... but we don’t often get time alone. Even when we are downstairs alone we could easily be disturbed and the floors don’t feel thick enough to have sex upstairs while they are awake without me being paranoid we’d be heard!
In 20 years together we’ve never had so little time for sex apart from when dc were tiny. Help! Any suggestions?!

OP’s posts: |
EnoughAlready2020 Tue 04-Aug-20 23:25:53

Following! Have the same problem here!

HJ372 Tue 04-Aug-20 23:32:53

Go out for a drive in the car.

Vargas Tue 04-Aug-20 23:36:50

Same! Weekend mornings seem to be the only available time.

I am looking forward to a weekend away...in about 5 years.

Titsywoo Tue 04-Aug-20 23:38:47

We are fine but we have our bedroom on the ground floor (converted bungalow) while they are on the top floor and there are 2 fire doors and a fair distance between us and them. Nice for you that they want to spend time with you though! Ours barely acknowledge our presence grin

TinkersTailor Tue 04-Aug-20 23:39:05

Would a lock on your bedroom door work?
Say your going upstairs to relax, lock the door and put the radio/TV on to cover the noise?

Flowersmakemyday Tue 04-Aug-20 23:39:13

Very quietly! smile

Floralnomad Tue 04-Aug-20 23:39:37

I find about 2am is a good time or 6 am , except I’m not a morning person .

BluebellsGreenbells Tue 04-Aug-20 23:41:14

Does the tap in the bathroom need fixing?
How about the light?
Then there’s the dodgy shower!

ballsdeep Tue 04-Aug-20 23:41:23

TinkersTailor

Would a lock on your bedroom door work?
Say your going upstairs to relax, lock the door and put the radio/TV on to cover the noise?

Couldn't be more obvious. You'd scsr them for life

Vargas Tue 04-Aug-20 23:43:19

We redesigned our house 8 years ago when our kids all went to bed by 7pm. Little did we realise the impact that having all our bedrooms right next to each other would have when they were going to bed at the same time ! grinblushhmm

TheMotherofAllDilemmas Tue 04-Aug-20 23:44:47

You don’t.

Pitterpatterpotter Tue 04-Aug-20 23:45:17

@Titsywoo I know it’s really nice and my oldest son wants to watch films with us most nights at the moment which is precious as he’s growing up so fast.

TheMotherofAllDilemmas Tue 04-Aug-20 23:46:01

... but believe me, as long as they have their earphones on while competing with friends on the Xbox, you are safe for as long as they are laughing their heads off.

AmICrazyorWhat2 Tue 04-Aug-20 23:46:53

Like a PP, very quietly.🤣

Pitterpatterpotter Tue 04-Aug-20 23:48:38

@BluebellsGreenbells we actually have a code phrase similar to those that we use to go upstairs in the day! But we also have a younger dc which makes day time sex harder. The teenagers often go out in the day but the little one doesn’t, although I’ve started letting them take him out to the local park which gives us the odd hour alone!

Pitterpatterpotter Tue 04-Aug-20 23:50:51

@Vargas this is a problem you don’t think about when they are little. When they were toddlers I was too tired for sex and where the bedrooms were wasn’t an issue!

hippohector Tue 04-Aug-20 23:52:02

Send them to the local shop for some emergency milk / bread / whatever. Give them a few quid to buy a bar of chocolate and a drink too (incentivises them to go!)
Then have a quickie while they are out grin

LookMoreCloselier Tue 04-Aug-20 23:58:44

Difficult isn't it. Dh goes to bed before our eldest and is up early in the morning. I'm hoping for some time when schools go back grin

TinkersTailor Wed 05-Aug-20 00:02:31

@ballsdeep Why? Does no one else relax in their room of an evening with the lock on and the TV?

My dad did, my mum did (both single!)

Mothership4two Wed 05-Aug-20 00:03:46

Is it really that obvious? Wouldn't a lock on the door and some music cover it? If you can be heard downstairs you need thicker carpets or an extra thick rug.

StillMedusa Wed 05-Aug-20 00:07:46

2am...quietly! grin

Doodar Wed 05-Aug-20 00:09:44

Send them all out to a distant chippy or sweet shop.

Sweetnhappy1 Wed 05-Aug-20 00:10:36

In normal (non-Covid) times, do they have any weekend classes/clubs in the middle of the day? At the same time?

AskingforaBaskin Wed 05-Aug-20 00:15:54

No! No! No!!!!!
We just got our sex life back after DD turned 1 and is a more reliable sleeper. She'll go a decent stretch.

What are you talking about?!
So we could lose it all again in 6 odd years?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in