Talk

Advanced search

Taking criticism at work?

(5 Posts)
gingajewel Mon 03-Aug-20 19:46:13

I am in a new role and recently had my four week probationary review, I got a few points to pick up on, main ones being “to think outside the box more” and “to be more critically minded”
I don’t mind getting criticism but I am so sensitive and everything feels like such a massive deal to me, like I’m getting a telling off!
It doesn’t help that at my last company where I worked 6 years my manager was amazing, we got on really well and worked fab as a team, so there was never any criticism or negativity!
I was told in my meeting that she only trusted my 70% to make sure the work is accurate and correct and that made me really sad because I really give 100% when I’m at work.
How do other people deal with this? How do you deal with criticism at work? How do you turn these things into a positive?

OP’s posts: |
CharlieandLolaCat Mon 03-Aug-20 19:50:13

My first job I received quite a bit of criticism and was very defensive. I had a lot of reasons for why something had happened. I have since realised that I should have just listened and changed my approach. At the end of the day, that woman was my boss and I wasn't demonstrating that I was able to adapt my style/approach to fit her. My advice therefore is push back where you think you should but first reflect on what is being said to you and see if you should be making changes to the way in which you work. Remember as well, none of it is personal, your boss just wants the very best out of you. Good luck!

gingajewel Mon 03-Aug-20 20:28:40

@CharlieandLolaCat wonderful advice, thankyou! I think my problem is that I focus on the negatives and instead of listening and adapting I take things quite personally! I no I shouldn’t, and your advice is great for helping me out things into perspective, thankyou!

OP’s posts: |
AliceinBunnyland Mon 03-Aug-20 20:32:56

I think it's natural to take things personally but we are all human and we all have things we can improve on. If you receive helpful feedback and actually take notice it will ultimately make you better at your job.

Pizzapromotion Mon 03-Aug-20 20:48:45

I teach all my staff to consider all performance reviews, audits, even Ofsted as training. Provided you're doing your best, being shown how you could do it even better is a good positive thing.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in