Talk

Advanced search

Oy, other Londoners - is there anywhere to go right now?

(54 Posts)
LaurieFairyCake Thu 30-Jul-20 15:17:58

So far I've rejected Cinema, the V and A (shut) Churchill war rooms (shut), docklands miseum (shut), there's no tickets for the National gallery earlier than 3.45. No shows obvs.

All I've come up with is going to look at the carriages in the Royal Mews (Buckingham palace state rooms are shut so this is the only bit open) plus wandering about confused

Anyone know of anything else that's open?

I was in town last week and it was really quiet but I was going to work so not looking for something to 'do'.

OP’s posts: |
SmileTolerantly Thu 30-Jul-20 15:20:56

Feed the tame parakeets in Kensington Gardens. Say hallo to the pelicans and feed the tame squirrels in St James’ Park.

EssentialHummus Thu 30-Jul-20 15:22:39

Walk through a forest or wood? We tried that today, I’d recommend it.

ClaudiaWankleman Thu 30-Jul-20 15:22:56

The Royal Academy is open.

I think the ponds on Hampstead Heath are now open. You could do Kew?

ZaZathecat Thu 30-Jul-20 15:23:37

I think the zoo's are in need of visitors.

Pirandello24 Thu 30-Jul-20 15:23:59

Tate Britain and Modern are open

Puppylucky Thu 30-Jul-20 15:24:00

Tower of London? Design Museum rave exhibition? V and A is reopening this weekend?

SmileTolerantly Thu 30-Jul-20 15:24:19

Tower of London is open and will be rather nice on a sunny day - dunno about ticket availability.

lughnasadh Thu 30-Jul-20 15:24:30

Kew.

London Zoo.

Royal Parks.

Igglepigglesgrubbyblanket Thu 30-Jul-20 15:25:37

Kew is open, so is osterley parks and gardens (national trust place) and shown gardens.
Watching with interest, as I'm bored shitless and have nearly convinced myself to move to a different city for a change of scene!

PatriciaHolm Thu 30-Jul-20 15:34:28

I believe the Tates are open?

LaurieFairyCake Thu 30-Jul-20 15:35:34

So I had membership of Kew and royal palaces last year so saw everything at least twice last summer

Will never go to Hampstead ponds again as they let penises into the women's ponds, hate zoos, sick of country walks and live next to a royal park that I think I've been in every day in last 5 months

I'm planning to go out tomorrow as I've just realised it's my only day off in the next two weeks so that rules out a few of these as they don't open til Saturday

Totally resonates that I now want to move City til it opens up again grin

I'd just go for a walk about but it's going to be 34 degrees and we've both been really ill from having teeth out and I have a sinus infection or dental abscess which means by face is still really swollen

I may be looking for the Holy Grail

Goyle Thu 30-Jul-20 15:43:48

Chiswick Park House Gardens are open.
Go on a riverboat
Shop?
Riverside pub?
Sky Garden skygarden.london/
Shard
I'm scraping the bin here.

ClaudiaWankleman Thu 30-Jul-20 15:46:16

Honestly, I think in a pandemic if you want entertaining you probably can't afford to be that picky.

Get out of London for the day? Go to Brighton or Leigh on Sea and enjoy the nice weather.

Lyricallie Thu 30-Jul-20 15:49:10

I used to enjoy going to little Venice and doing a big walk along the canal.

You could also go to somewhere like Oxford for the day.

RosieLemonade Thu 30-Jul-20 15:49:33

God you are spoilt for choice compared to most people and still complaining.

UselessTrees Thu 30-Jul-20 15:50:00

Westminster Abbey or St Paul's? Might be nice and coolish compared to outside?

Smallinthesmoke Thu 30-Jul-20 15:50:30

Sorry about your teeth, sounds suboptimal.
I'm told the Waĺlace collection is nice and empty.

Smallinthesmoke Thu 30-Jul-20 15:52:33

Good ideas there from @UselessTrees. Westminster Abbey sounds tempting. It's surprisingly interesting and has nice cloister gardens for sitting. And it has the oldest door in England. confused

TooFrickinHot Thu 30-Jul-20 15:53:27

RosieLemonade

God you are spoilt for choice compared to most people and still complaining.

This!

LaurieFairyCake Thu 30-Jul-20 15:59:55

Westminster abbey isn't open til Saturday unfortunately as I'd definitely go back there again as the gardens are lovely

I'm whinging because like everyone else I've barely been out for 5 months AND I've been ill and it's my bloody big birthday and everything's bloody cancelled including my party and I can't see anyone because half my family are shielding/too scared/diabetic and all the holidays I had planned are cancelled and waaaahhhhh grin

So I've got a tentative plan thanks to you all who weren't snarky:

Chelsea Physic Garden (they were being cautious and there was no food or toilets a couple of weeks ago but there's both now) - I cant go anywhere without being able to go to the loo in 34 degree heat as I get a headache unless I'm hydrated

Then we're going to see the Carriages at Buckingham Palace

And we're going for a walk plus getting the boat back as the Clipper service has started again

Thanks all thanks

workhomesleeprepeat Thu 30-Jul-20 16:03:18

Lol you are being a little picky op, but at east you know it! Holy grail indeed. Its normal to be frustrated with everything in this weird time though, am very sick of walks around my area.

Dunno if this makes a difference but I swim in the women's pools at Hampstead quite a bit and I never see anyone but other women? Its really quite good! I never see men unless its the unisex pools or men's bit. So happy they are open again in this weather!

PatriciaHolm Thu 30-Jul-20 16:06:21

sounds like a lovely day out! Have fun and happy birthday!

LaurieFairyCake Thu 30-Jul-20 16:06:37

I can't swim at the moment with my infection either - had aqua aerobics booked today for the first time in 6 months as my gym reopened and I had to cancel it cos of my huge face grin

Titsywoo Thu 30-Jul-20 16:07:25

I've just been to the Tower if London. Really quiet. It was lovely!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in