Advanced search

Home buying decisions, help me?

(12 Posts)
Merename Thu 30-Jul-20 13:41:54

We’ve decided to move, have started process of getting ready to sell, photos taken yesterday and could be on market next week. Have seen a place that we really like but not that ‘it’s the one’ feeling. Mainly because it needs the tiny kitchen resiting into an extension, and another bedroom would be preferable (but attic could be converted later).

BUT the location could not be more perfect for school, life, quiet cul de sac and community feel, property with gorgeous stained glass, bigger garden, lovely original features and big spacious rooms.

How do you decide? Do you need ‘the one’ feeling? Give me all your sage advice please. I always feel the need to turn to MN in situations like this!

OP’s posts: |
Bhbunny Thu 30-Jul-20 15:14:04

Usually I have must haves and things I’ll compromise on. I usually have a feel of a property and if it’s not perfect but I can make changes then I will. If you have the budget to make the changes you’d like and create “the one” with time then go for it. Is it an area where it retains/grows value, if you make those changes in years to come you could have more equity?

GoldStripes Thu 30-Jul-20 15:19:53

If it’s within your budget, in your ‘perfect’ location and has the potential to be the right home if you’re able to extend, I’d go for it.

Merename Thu 30-Jul-20 22:00:01

Thanks both. Yes I think it would keep/grow in value, although we hope to not move again. I think the dilemma is about the budget - the kitchen extension that’s needed would be expensive (although we haven’t had advice so don’t really know) - and while we can afford it, it’s a query of whether putting all that money in is the wisest thing, or is it better to wait for something a bit more straightforward to come along, ideally when the current housing ‘bubble’ has popped a bit. But since it’s perfect location and ticks all of our ‘must haves’ without the extension problem, then maybe whatever we need to pay is what it’s worth to us.

Argh. I hate decisions like this. It’s a closing date tomorrow noon so need to decide pretty soon!

OP’s posts: |
Shelby30 Thu 30-Jul-20 22:17:40

I don't believe in having a feeling, sometimes you disregard places as they don't tick every box.

I disregarded our current house because it wasn't south facing. I wanted to tick all the boxes. It actually gets the sun until about 7pm and then certain areas get it till about 8pm. We went bk 5 wks later (after seeing lots of other properties) it was so much nicer than I remembered.

Anyway, the location sounds gd and if you have the funds available to sort out the bits you don't like then go for it. I love putting in a new kitchen that is what you picked and love. I would love to pick this house up and put it nearer our old home so just remember, you can always change the house but not where it is!

Delbelleber Thu 30-Jul-20 22:47:37

When I saw my house online I scrolled past it for weeks as it wasn't ticking my boxes, but it was in budget in the desired area so eventually decided to view. As soon as I walked in I just had this feeling that it was my house! And that feeling never went away smile

Merename Thu 30-Jul-20 22:49:20

Yes I’ve never chosen a new kitchen, the thought is really exciting but also major trepidation at the work and stress involved. Your points are helpful, I love the thought of being so close to the school and DD could come home for lunch etc if she liked.

OP’s posts: |
Merename Thu 30-Jul-20 22:50:58

That’s interesting Dellbell! I’m kindof wishing I had the feeling as it would make me surer about what to do. Also wishing we had second viewed but it’s too late now.

OP’s posts: |
JoJoSM2 Fri 31-Jul-20 06:24:32

I’m a head rather than a heart person so not the ‘feeling’ type.

Merename Fri 31-Jul-20 18:53:10

So the house went for 23% over the asking price! Crazy in Scotland. We bid what we were happy with and what would have been decent in a normal market, and were 30k off. So am glad that I didn’t have a huge attachment to it being the one!!

Now just deciding if we should sell then rent, to take advantage of this bubble as a seller then wait for the market to stabilise again. Thanks for thoughts.

OP’s posts: |
Delbelleber Fri 31-Jul-20 21:03:09

Well it went to someone else so it wasn't your house. Your house is still waiting for you to find it grin

Merename Fri 31-Jul-20 22:00:55

It is!! I am a bit relieved at not having to immediately do an extension. Not feeling too gutted either so that tells all I need to know.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in