Talk

Advanced search

How can I become a more tolerant, patient person?

(8 Posts)
LadybirdInTheWindow Thu 30-Jul-20 09:13:56

Just that really. Has anyone gone from being seriously intolerant and impatient to a paragon of patience and serenity?

I grew up in a big family and have always been deeply intolerant to noise. I love my siblings dearly but when we are all together the noise makes me rage. I can't bear, for instance, people talking while loud music is also on in the background.

My ds (whom I obviously adore) is now 4 and at that stage when he is both cute and irritating in equal measure. Just that age when kids do annoying things for no reason, like throwing his rabbit around the living room, handstands and jumping on the sofa while watching TV, making daft screechy noises and not giving serious answers to questions (eg when asked what did you eat at nursery today, responding with "big foofoos and WEEWEE" or other such nonsense). I appreciate this is all normal kid stuff but it just sets my teeth on edge!

In general I am really impatient, really intolerant and I just hate that about myself. I promise I am not a joyless miserable witch and I do actually have a sense of humour and ds and I have a very affectionate relationship. I've always been like this and I fear it will just get worse as I get older unless I can find a way to change.

OP’s posts: |
LadybirdInTheWindow Thu 30-Jul-20 10:03:50

Just me?

OrigamiOwl Thu 30-Jul-20 11:34:30

No, it's not just you... But I have no idea of what to advise to make a change!

Sipperskipper Thu 30-Jul-20 11:35:57

Following with interest as I am exactly the same. Tips please!

pinkpetal2 Thu 30-Jul-20 11:37:29

I'm the same mindfulness did help but didn't last at all. I cannot stand noise and I have three children blush

OrigamiOwl Thu 30-Jul-20 11:39:15

I really struggle with noise. I don't have children and I must admit this was a factor in my decision making. I knew I would really really struggle.

Dollywilde Thu 30-Jul-20 11:39:17

Well this unhelpful as I was also here for the advice grin

I guess there’s a school of thought that you’ll really miss it when it’s over and he’s sullenly grunting? I do try and remind myself that I don’t have a right to later get nostalgic over things that set me on edge in the present!

I also try and remind myself I’m looking to break a cycle - my dad is really intolerant to loud noise and kids being kids and I was on tiptoes a lot of my childhood. Very determined not to replicate that for my own DC.

LadybirdInTheWindow Thu 30-Jul-20 11:57:55

Maybe we need a support group grin

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in