Talk

Advanced search

How to keep a positive frame of mind for an interview?

(1 Post)
Puddingpi Wed 29-Jul-20 15:10:26

I recently applied for a job and have an interview tomorrow. I’ve never had a job at all and I have struggled with confidence in this area because it’s been so long. I fit the job description perfectly, I have studied for relevant qualifications and I am good at it, so I know I can do the job, but I feel so worried about the interview. I had a phone interview on Tuesday and it went well, but the difference is that I was in my own home and the timing was up to me - so I was able to repeat my answers out loud and sort of psych myself up for it right up until the minute before I called so I was feeling positive and confident.

I feel like my perception of things can change very quickly and I am very negative and down about things I previously felt ok about. It’s a bit exhausting. I have just done a test drive to the place where the interview is today and I feel so intimidated by it. There are lots of roadworks at the moment and it’s just loads of big, busy roads leading to a city centre I’ve only visited once before. I’ve been a stay at home mum for twelve years and I tend to feel stressed and uncomfortable in places I don’t know. I don’t want to end up messing it up just because the environment is making me feel different when I know I’d be confident going into the interview if it was somewhere I’m more familiar with. I couldn’t go inside the building but just the drive there today made me want to go home. I feel like an imposter.

Does anybody else get like this and have any tips on how to stop getting overwhelmed and take it in my stride? I’ve been feeling good up until the test drive today. I’m frustrated that my perception of things seems to change so quickly and the effect this then has on my confidence levels. My husband lost his job just before lockdown so we really need this and I’m feeling the pressure.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in