Talk

Advanced search

Anyone got any job experience in Dubai/UAE?

(15 Posts)
Lacey2019 Mon 27-Jul-20 12:15:52

Hello all,

I wondered if anyone could help me. I am debating moving to Dubai with a friend. They have a very successful job in the UK, however they have lost their job in the pandemic understandably. She works in construction and I myself am a teacher. To secure a teaching job, there are lots there. However, I am worried I will be supporting her as although she has lots of experience, her education stops at Alevel and many big jobs there seem to want a degree.

Can anyone advise please as she keeps telling me she’ll be earning so much money etc, but I’m not sure if she’s being very dillusional

OP’s posts: |
GeorginaTheGiant Mon 27-Jul-20 12:22:05

Well surely you wouldn’t both set off without both having jobs so I can’t see how supporting her would come into it? Personally Dubai is about the last place on earth I would consider visiting never mind moving-horrific women’s rights/human rights track record, insane heat, full of ToWiE types...but I can accept that everyone is different and you might love it, some people do! But for goodness sake don’t plan to move there unless you’ve been there and know what you’re setting yourself up for. And make sure that any accommodation arrangements are made independently of your friend so one of you isn’t shafted if the other drops out or moves home.

I can understand wanting a fresh start but it’s a very big decision to move abroad at the moment, far more than in normal circumstances. Make sure you do all your research and are VERY sure.

Lacey2019 Mon 27-Jul-20 13:11:38

Thank you for your help. My brother lives there so I would love to be closer to him
and his family smile. I am just unsure of the job market outside of teaching. Thank you

Palavah Mon 27-Jul-20 13:22:26

Has she spoken to any recruitment consultants in the construction sector. Many of the jobs require a degree in order to grant the visa. I'm not sure in what scenarios they might make an exception.
I would ask her outright how she will address the visa requirements?

Bishybarnybee Mon 27-Jul-20 13:26:18

My understanding it's quite an oppressive regime. Your lifestyle will be built on the poverty and powerlessness of the lowest paid workers. Which is obviously always partly true, but the differentials are pretty extreme. I wouldn't want my affluence to be at the expense of someone else's human rights.

Lacey2019 Mon 27-Jul-20 13:28:16

Thank you

Afwan Mon 27-Jul-20 13:36:50

From a construction perspective, Dubai is hurting with many firms outsourcing projects to Saudi Arabia next door, so this would be a tough time for your friend to join the industry, not impossible, but tough. Bear in mind it is expensive to live there so any gains that might be made through lack of direct taxes are made up for elsewhere.

Having a degree is a pretty standard requirement, unless she has lots of industry experience or certifications.

LittleMissRedHat Mon 27-Jul-20 13:38:42

I'm in Dubai right now and all I can say is DO NOT come here at the moment. And certainly not without a VERY firm job offer that details everything in writing. Surely your brother has advised you of that? What industry is he in? There are so many out of work that the chances of you coming here and getting a job are slim to nil. Schools are laying off staff left, right and centre or cutting wages to the quick. Emirates have laid off thousands so there are loads of people here already vying for any available job. Construction is bad too. Very unlikely your friend will get a decent job without a degree and as someone mentioned above, unlikely they will be granted a visa without one anyway.

annabell22 Mon 27-Jul-20 13:49:25

There's very little chance of you getting a teaching post that starts before Aug 2021. You cannot sponsor your friend if she's not working. You can only stay for 30 days as a tourist. By all means apply for some jobs on TES in the autumn but let your friend sort herself out.

Lacey2019 Mon 27-Jul-20 14:40:11

LittleMissRedHat

I'm in Dubai right now and all I can say is DO NOT come here at the moment. And certainly not without a VERY firm job offer that details everything in writing. Surely your brother has advised you of that? What industry is he in? There are so many out of work that the chances of you coming here and getting a job are slim to nil. Schools are laying off staff left, right and centre or cutting wages to the quick. Emirates have laid off thousands so there are loads of people here already vying for any available job. Construction is bad too. Very unlikely your friend will get a decent job without a degree and as someone mentioned above, unlikely they will be granted a visa without one anyway.

Thank you!. My brothers in teaching. He did say to me my friend getting a job in construction would be rather difficult at the moment and it would be very unlikely

Lacey2019 Mon 27-Jul-20 16:00:19

Hello thank you smile @Afwan yes she has lots of industry experience and has worked for some very big companies in the uk leading their construction - but they have no degree sadly and I’ve been told they’ll struggle

sofato5miles Mon 27-Jul-20 16:07:07

Only move with a job

Lacey2019 Wed 29-Jul-20 08:57:57

Thank you sofa. It’s very hard to make sense of the job market as I’m not there but also a teacher, so have all my qualifications

sofato5miles Wed 29-Jul-20 10:17:00

It's not even clear how schools are going to operate next month. I would wait a year

Lacey2019 Thu 30-Jul-20 18:08:54

Thank you. I know some people who teach there and have decided against travelling home for summer

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in