Talk

Advanced search

Please settle a question about bloody masks

(10 Posts)
Puppybum Thu 23-Jul-20 16:34:34

Ok DS works in a bakery and his boss has bought all the workers thick fabric masks and he wants them to wear the same one all day! They're going to be minging by the end of the day aren't they?

OP’s posts: |
WrinklesShminkles Thu 23-Jul-20 16:36:04

Yes.

I think those clear plastic visors that stand away from the face would have been a better choice for day-long wear. Can he ask to use one of those?

yeOldeTrout Thu 23-Jul-20 16:36:40

Can your son bring & use his own?

Puppybum Thu 23-Jul-20 16:37:47

WrinklesShminkles his boss doesn't like them angry

Puppybum Thu 23-Jul-20 16:40:11

I didn't think shop workers needed to use them

Stingybath Thu 23-Jul-20 16:40:29

Yes, pretty sure for most fabric masks it's around 30 mins before they become too damp to be effective.

Terryscombover Thu 23-Jul-20 16:40:52

I was hoping to wear a visor but new data says they aren't as effective at protecting others and should be used with mask.

Your son will need enough to have a new one daily and a suitable bag to put it in once removed. They should be changed if removed as it's hard for the outside not to touch the inside and spread bugs.

Puppybum Thu 23-Jul-20 16:54:56

The same mask is going to be grim all day isn't it

Paperthin Thu 23-Jul-20 17:03:11

There’s plenty of advice on the govt website. If they are fabric masks they are basically face coverings for protecting other people from anything that comes out of your mouth or nose - so maybe he is making it part of uniform - so must be worn?. One way would be to ask if staff can provide their own face covering - then chose and wear a more lightweight one or even a IIR type surgical mask instead. Wearing all day sounds hard if they are thick masks when there are plenty out there which are lighter.

shinynewapple2020 Thu 23-Jul-20 18:57:37

I think they need to be changed every couple of hours at least. If the company is providing them I'd say they need to provide around 10 per employee to enable changing during the day and then washing / drying .

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in