Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant or breastfeeding for 6 years!

(7 Posts)
Anon234 Thu 23-Jul-20 14:21:06

So as the title of the thread suggests, I've either been pregnant or breastfeeding for 6 years now with no break (3 DC, all breastfed until at least 14 months). I'm starting to wean DC3 now (15 months) and I'm wondering what to expect! Since cutting down on the feeds, AF has returned and I've gained nearly a stone (NB. This could be a wee bit of lockdown weight too!) and I've noticed the PMT is INSANE. Has anyone else been in this position? How long does it take for things to settle? Or am I destined to be fat and snappy forever?!

OP’s posts: |
Anon234 Thu 23-Jul-20 15:56:56

Bump

jammyjoey Thu 23-Jul-20 16:01:56

I had DS then breastfed 6 months and pregnant then 2 months after that. All I remember after stopping breastfeeding was the night sweats, they were crazy, and feeling really emotional proper hormonal baby blues. I was able to recognise it so it made it easier but your hormones will probably be all over the place for the first while

OhWifey Thu 23-Jul-20 16:04:05

Following with interest. P or B for over 7 years now and really intrigued to know what it feels like not to be nourishing another human!

Anon234 Fri 24-Jul-20 14:03:07

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I'm genuinely a bit terrified of what will happen after that last feed; will my body go in to some sort of shock? Hormone crash? Will I feel a surge of energy now I can keep all those lovely nutrients to myself? Or am I going to blow up like a big tender balloon??

MrsAvocet Fri 24-Jul-20 14:14:11

I was pregnant, breastfeeding or both for getting on for a decade and I can't say I really noticed anything dramatic when it ended. But I bf all my children til self weaning, so it was very gradual. I can't actually remember the last feed for any of them, never mind the last feed ever, so I don't think there was any massive swing in hormones and I didn't get breast engorgement or anything either. I imagine if you go from feeding regularly to nothing in a relatively short time frame it could well be different though.
I didn't really notice any huge difference in my periods either. If anything, they were perhaps a bit heavier but a day or so shorter, so swings and roundabouts! Every time they restarted after a long break I probably complained that they were worse, but actually I think that's because I resented them after a long time off. Physically I don't think there was a lot of difference.
But I think everyone is different so it is very difficult to predict.

shellysheridan Fri 24-Jul-20 14:21:21

I was either pregnant or breastfeeding for 8 years with a gap of 4 months in the middle. I finished bf 12 months ago. My boobs have returned to a normal and slightly more saggy size and I find it harder to lose weight now! It's a relief to get my body back in many ways but miss that stage as well!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in