Talk

Advanced search

Where can I buy a cake to ice for this weekend!

(22 Posts)
FoxtrotSkarloey Thu 23-Jul-20 07:17:05

Help! I had grand plans to make and ice 2yo DS a birthday cake but I'm not going to get the chance. I'd still like to ice one, so I've made some effort - is there anywhere I can buy a couple of plain sponges, ideally rectangles?

Failing that where's best to buy a cake? Not keen on Colin the Caterpillar!

OP’s posts: |
StonersPotPalace Thu 23-Jul-20 07:18:40

Probably the supermarket?

pinkcattydude Thu 23-Jul-20 07:55:38

Sainsbury’s and Morrison’s do a Madeira cake with plain white icing ready for you to personalise.

catwithwhiskers Thu 23-Jul-20 07:58:37

Marks and Spencer's and Waitrose do celebration cakes (including naked cakes) you need to order though

pinkcattydude Thu 23-Jul-20 08:03:01

The nude cake company do exactly what you need, but I’m not sure it would be delivered on time.

FoxtrotSkarloey Thu 23-Jul-20 08:04:54

Thanks! No time to order one but the Sainsbury's or Morrison's options sound perfect. Exactly what I was hoping for before traipsing round the stores!

FrugiFan Thu 23-Jul-20 08:21:38

To be honest it's probably quicker to make a cake than to go to the supermarket (assuming you have the ingredients)
Look for the mary berry all in one method. You literally put all the ingredients in a bowl, mix it up and then bake it. Prep takes about 10 minutes and 40 mins of baking.

Ginfordinner Thu 23-Jul-20 08:23:31

I agree with FrugiFan. A Mary Berry all in one plain traybake would be ideal.

FoxtrotSkarloey Thu 23-Jul-20 08:35:17

Cakes never work for me sad

I can make scones, cup cakes, all sorts, but actual big cakes just don't seem to work. I was going to try again, but I'm short on time and remember how disappointing it is when yet again they're a bit shit, hence the idea of putting the effort into the icing!

ineedaholidaynow Thu 23-Jul-20 08:40:15

I am sure Waitrose does an plain iced cake in their cake aisle, no need to order but it is a round one not rectangle.

StonersPotPalace Fri 24-Jul-20 07:38:54

So, without being a dick, you came to mumsnet to check that supermarkets sell cake before you went?

Ginfordinner Fri 24-Jul-20 07:41:24

Why shouldn't she?

pinkcattydude Fri 24-Jul-20 09:37:42

Without being a dick. You came to mumsnet to check, that she came to mumsnet to check; if supermarkets sell cake before she went

Ginfordinner Fri 24-Jul-20 09:39:05

grin @pinkcattydude

StonersPotPalace Fri 24-Jul-20 11:11:44

OF COURSE SUPERMARKETS SELL CAKE

FoxtrotSkarloey Fri 24-Jul-20 15:16:08

Wow. Sorry for the 'dickish' behaviour. Sorry for posting in chat not AIBU and not expecting such smart answers.

FWIW, I didn't know supermarkets sold such things and given I'm working FT and have a toddler at home, don't have much spare time to queue for umpteen supermarket visits. This is exactly the kind of thing the majority of lovely mumsnet responders are brilliant at. It take seconds to ask and is invaluably useful.

Cake bought today - thank you for the helpful replies!

bookmum08 Fri 24-Jul-20 15:48:06

I don't want to get into a fight but how can you not know that supermarkets sell cakes? Seriously!

CaffeineInfusion Fri 24-Jul-20 15:52:46

I wouldn't know that supermarkets sold plain un-iced cakes. I've never bought one and have certainly never looked.

🤷

Blueuggboots Fri 24-Jul-20 15:54:55

Costco cakes are great and cheap!!

bookmum08 Fri 24-Jul-20 15:58:39

Supermarkets have whole aisles devoted to cakes. It's not exactly an usual food item.
Oh well. Hope you enjoy your cake OP.

Ginfordinner Fri 24-Jul-20 17:22:53

Blueuggboots

Costco cakes are great and cheap!!

Costco cakes are cheap. IMO they don't taste great.

FoxtrotSkarloey Fri 24-Jul-20 21:23:46

Thanks @CaffeineInfusion I was starting to think I was the only person on the planet who didn't know you could buy a plain cake ready for icing in a supermarket! Anyway, I'm glad I asked, or I'd still be none the wiser.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in