Talk

Advanced search

First phone for ds, can anyone help me set it up?

(6 Posts)
NameChange2PostThis Wed 22-Jul-20 09:13:04

As your phone is with O2 you can take it into an O2 store and ask the ‘Guru’ to help you set it up (free service)

OryxNotCrake Wed 22-Jul-20 09:10:00

This takes you through you how to create an Apple ID for a child and how to add them to a family group. support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201084

Blueberryham Wed 22-Jul-20 08:53:36

Just thinking how to phrase question more specifically. Can I add pay as you go calls and texts maybe? But not add data? Or do they all come together?

OP’s posts: |
Blueberryham Wed 22-Jul-20 08:40:04

Thank you. So the options where you have limits on when phone can be used For internet and Downloading permission for apps. Is that set up via family group for the iPhone? Where do you actually set this up? My iPhone is from O2 is it via them?

OryxNotCrake Wed 22-Jul-20 08:32:54

If you have an iPhone, you can add him to your family group. You need to enter his age, and this means that you will not be able to download apps that are too old for him - e.g., no WhatsApp, instagram, FB. There are other options too - e.g. I’ve also set it up for my DD (11 yo) so that she cannot download apps without my permission or access certain websites. I’ve also set up a screen time limit which means her phone stops her using the internet at 8.30 at night until 6.30 in the morning.

She has a SIM card but I generally only put credit on it if there’s a possibility she will genuinely need her phone to contact me. Otherwise she uses it in WiFi (most of her friends also have iPhones so she can call/FaceTime/text over WiFi for free).

I’m planning to soften up gradually when she goes to secondary but for now, this works for us. It’s pretty terrifying to see how much unrestricted access to the internet some of her peers have on their phones tbh.

Blueberryham Wed 22-Jul-20 08:23:21

Most of ds friends have phones so I think we will get one for him going back to school. It’s his last year at primary school so hoping to let him get used to it before he goes to academy. I will probably give him my old iPhone with a pay as you go sim. I was kind of wondering about only giving him phoning and texting ability on his phone. Is this even possible? Or is that weird and a bit mean of me ? And if not then how do we put safety features in to the internet access? We have that on the WiFi but can it be set up on an individual phone? What does everyone do about computer games on phones? At the moment we control screen time quite strictly so he doesn’t play minecraft all day long. But do you end up having to hand over control and responsibility to them a bit? Sorry for all these questions, hoping for advice from people who already been there

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in