Talk

Advanced search

If not successful but went to elite schools

(3 Posts)
Sortofit Tue 21-Jul-20 19:43:07

I work with a lot of people who went to "Ivy League" type universities but I suspect they are not as successful as they feel they should be. So in compensation, remind everyone at every opportunity of their background.

If you went to private schools or/and or elite universities but do not feel successful.

Does it bother you on personal level?
Do you have a chip on your shoulder?

OP’s posts: |
HarryHarry Tue 21-Jul-20 19:48:50

I went to posh schools and two good universities and I did precisely nothing with it. In some ways I am a bit ashamed because my mum came from nothing (arrived in the UK from a third world country with no money in her pocket) and she achieved so much with her life whereas I was born into privilege (and naturally “gifted and talented” as they used to say) and I just squandered it. Not intentionally. I was just never interested in pursuing a career and was happy doing any old job that allowed me to write and travel etc. Now I am a stay-at-home mum while all my school friends have fancy jobs. But I have the life I wanted so I’m not worried. I have time to think of a career later.

bashcrashfall Tue 21-Jul-20 19:50:18

I went to private school, the school would not consider me successful - I currently work part time at not much above min wage, I'm a qualified teacher but don't currently teach.

It doesn't bother me personally, I made choices I am happy with. But then I'm not in contact with many people from school and I went to private school on an assisted place. If my parents had paid the £50,000 or whatever I might feel a bit differently I guess.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in